Is my peacock sick?

Ive already tried and tested this dosage on my birds of 1 packet per bird and it cured them. One packet is 250mg of metronidazole , the suggested dose I learned from top MSU Vets here in Michigan, which kills the protozoan carrying the disease, and the other ingredient is 75mg of P***** something I cant read the print its too small but it is a de-wormer. The mixture is sold in the fish section by API labeled, GENERAL CURE, its in a yellow and blue box, this is the only product sold in America that does work. The other that does work called Dimetronidazole was banned but still available out of China ( I do have some I bought in case the first treatments of metronidazole didnt work, but it did ) At first I treated all my birds for 5 days with Corrid followed by electrolytes in their water, and all responded well and I didnt lose anymore birds after the first died from coccidiousis , however, one female again had eaten worms after a rain and contracted the mutated form of Coccidiousis called blackhead and re infected all the birds. I tried Corrid again but it did not work and I almost lost another bird so they all got treated again for 5 days with the metronidazole formula of 1 packet per bird down the throat, all the birds recovered well cept the one female that ate the worms, she was still sick because she ate the worms which contained the mutated blackhead protozoan so she got treated again for 7 days with the dose of one packet per bird and it cured her and now all my birds are well and doing great. I would not have recommended this if not for the fact I already used this formula and dose to cure my dying birds.

23mg per lb of bird works out to over 250mg per bird but 250mg per bird is safe as an adult pea of 2 or better if between 12 and 15 lbs. My females are 2 and my male is 6. I weighed them all prior to treating and only after consulting the MSU vets did I use the dose that worked.

23mg per lb of bird works out to over 250mg per bird but 250mg per bird is safe as an adult pea of 2 or better if between 12 and 15 lbs. My females are 2 and my male is 6. I weighed them all prior to treating and only after consulting the MSU vets did I use the dose that worked.
I agree that any pea over 4 kg (8.8 pounds) can have a whole packet of 250 mg metronidazole and 75 mg praziquantel, but a young pea might only weigh one pound or two pounds, and that amount of either drug on such a small bird might be enough to kill it. FWIW, I'm not making this up... I once gave a one pound pigeon 100 mg of metronidazole several day s in a row while trying to treat canker and the poor thing started having seizures.

Your original post implies that it's okay to give 250 mg metronidazole and 75 mg of praziquantel to any size bird, and I can promise you that this is not safe. Call the vet that you talked to and I'm sure they will agree.

Last edited:
Cocci an histomoniasis, (blackhead) are two very different things and are not related. BH is not a mutation from cocci. Blackhead is carried by cecal worms, if you control the cecal worms you can limit the amount of blackhead in your birds.
Quite right... both are protozoas, but that's all they have in common.

My bad your right, the dose was for mature birds not young and should be adjusted by the weight of the birds. My dose was for the adult birds as stated above 12-15 lbs not chicks. Sorry for the confusion. However, how it was explained to me was , first you get cocci which are pooped out into the soil and dirt and can and will infect all your birds and kill them if they eat any of the contaminant , as the earth worms pick up the cocci protozoan from the infected soil and areas of wet bedding, these same cocci lay eggs inside earth worms intestine and hatch into black head which I would definitely call a mutation from the first. Two different organism but are they related ? Can you have one without the other? Corrid works on Cocci but not on Black head, this much I already went through and learned. Does metronidazole work on cocci ? I do not know but it is a harsher drug and I know it works on Blackhead at 23mg per birds lbs. Mine got a little less then that after being first treated and rid of cocci, and are 100% free of both disease. Are any of these chemicals truly safe but giving them to our animals is better then not and watching them die. Caution should always be used and thorough investigation with numerous questions sought before blindly administering anything. I will be seeing the vets at MSU again tomorrow and will gladly ask them to explain it all to me again. Im sure Dr Sikarski and Dr. Kim will be delighted to explain more to me as usual. They rather enjoy seeing my peafowl. Last time there just a few weeks ago they had a Great Horn Owl and a young Bald eagle both healing form broken wings. To see these birds of prey from 5 feet away was truly spectacular. Always seek professional help first, as an ordinary random vet is rarely good enough for any specialty animal with a sever injury. I am no vet so it is good so many others are here to help correct mistakes as I would not want to see any ones pet harmed by my mistakes.

So normally both are extra excited for mealworms and run around the cage all day. I noticed my male seemed hunched over, slightly fluffed, and not interested in the mealworms I have them.

They are 12-14 weeks, bought them at 4-6 weeks. They have been in my house the entire time. I know they are outgrowing the pen and hopefully will be going out this next week. We have chickens and turkeys but outside and they have never been near each other.

I started them on some safeguard in case of worms as they haven't ever had any worming, but can they get them inside? They eat Purina medicated starter and mealworms, that's it. I have all-in-one medicated powder here as well if they need a dose of that. Here is a pic of how he stands there during the day. He is on the right.View attachment 1114818im having this same issue right now With my female after she laid Her first eggs a week later she is hunched up and won’t move around like normal how did you treat yours? And did it work?

Back
Top Bottom