Is my poult dying?

kuntrygirl

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
11 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Opelousas, Louisiana
I have a 6 week old turkey poult that is acting strange. I went out to check on my poults yesterday and noticed that he was standing in the corner of the coop with his head down. I picked him up and checked him but I didn't see any visible problems. I then brought him out into the barnyard to let him walk around with the others. He perked up and he did walk around kinda slow with the others but was still able to keep up with them. After a while, he just stood still as if he was falling asleep. His wing feathers were slightly away from his body. At that time, I picked him up and placed him in a stall by himself and placed food and water in front of him. He started eating and drank a bit. Then he began with the same behavior. He stood still and his head started to slowly lower to the ground as if he was about to go to sleep. He then rested on the ground and it looked like he was taking a nap. Later on when the other poults and mothers went into their stall to roost, he huddled up under his mother. None of the other poults are exhibiting this behavior. I am very worried about him. I haven't checked his poo to see if it's ok because all of them are always together. He was ok when I checked on him this morning. I have all of poults on starter/grower for turkeys - 30% protein.

What do you think this could be? I"m VERY worried. It's so hard to raise poults and I'm afraid I may lose him. What do you think I should do?

If the poult is not eating and drinking you are going to lose it. I would bring it inside and try to get water with a bit of apple cider vinegar and molasses mixed in with it. place the poults beak into the waterer and try to get it to drink. If it won't u need to use a syringe to get it to drink. If u do nothing you will eventually lose the poult.

Quote:
It is still eating a little but I will bring it in and do what you said. This behavior just started yesterday, so I will get something in it, so I don't lose it. I'm not familiar with molasses but I guess they sell it at Wal mart. Is molasses a syrup substance? Where would this be located in the stores?

Sounds like it might be blackhead. Have there ever been any chickens in the coop where you have been keeping him?

this might be dumb coment but he sound diabetic like he aint metablizing food in to energery for his body

Back
Top Bottom