Is my RIR a roo

thegoodwinshens

In the Brooder
May 11, 2015
Davidson, NC
I have 2 of these and this one has a really light head, looking at other pictures it seems to be that my pullet may be a roo is that correct.

I don't see anything pointing to cockerel - attitude is not really a gender indicator, as anyone who has ever dealt with a boss hen can attest. Your bird's comb is small and pale, there is no significant wattle development and the overall appearance is rather feminine at this point. That's not to say that all of that could change and photos taken two weeks from now could show a totally different bird.

I don't see anything pointing to cockerel - attitude is not really a gender indicator, as anyone who has ever dealt with a boss hen can attest. Your bird's comb is small and pale, there is no significant wattle development and the overall appearance is rather feminine at this point. That's not to say that all of that could change and photos taken two weeks from now could show a totally different bird.
x2

x3

The view of the one in the back doesn't give a clear comparison of the comb, but what little I can see doesn't look much redder than the one in front.

Now, 5 weeks is pretty young to say with certainty, but as of right now, the legs do not look thicker, and the comb doesn't look all that red.

Back
Top Bottom