Is my RIR with no tail feathers a male?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by llcoolbean, Apr 30, 2016.

1. llcoolbean

llcoolbean New Egg

Apr 11, 2016
    Florida
    These two Rhode Island Reds are about 10 or 11 days old. I bought them at the feed store and both were to be pullets. One has pretty long tail feathers and the other has none. All four of my female Cream Legbars have tail feathers as well. Thanks!

No tail feathers
    [​IMG]

Tail feathers

[​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    too soon to tell

3. Serenity06

Serenity06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    South Alabama
    It looks like the second one is just feathering faster. It's too early to tell gender yet.

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Feathering sexing and development only works on lines that have been bred for that trait, and only within that line.

With feed store chicks, you get chicks that were hatched at different times from a broad range of lines. You never really know what the ages (and sometimes breeds) are in the bins.

Comb color and size is a much better indicator. If one of them begins to quickly develop comb, which pinks and reddens by 4 weeks of age, you've got yourself a roo. By 6 weeks of age, there will be a pretty substantial difference in comb size and color between roos and pullets for most breeds, but especially RIR/PR's.

Right now, nothing is screaming roo....time will tell.

LofMc

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with LofMc

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by