Is my roost okay or did I screw up?

Quote:
Sounds good to me!!
smile.png

That's actually fairly close to what I have, only yours is longer. There is nothing whatsoever wrong with one long roost (as opposed to two parallel, or ladder-style)... and it does make using a droppings board much easier, if you should decide to go that route.

It is possible you may need to devise a stiffener or middle prop for the roost, as a 12' 2x4 on-the-flat may get rather saggy after a month or two of having full-sized chickens roosting on it... but you can wait and see, and it's easy to retrofit.

4' high with 7' out in front of it is perfectly reasonable.

Still deciding whether or not to put dropping boards under the roost?

You don't have to decide now, you can try it without and then see if you want to do droppings boards later on, it isn't a big deal to add them if you want to.

Good luck, have fun, relax
smile.png

Pat​

Yes, I do have a ladder it's just not attached yet
big_smile.png

I am going to have 10 chickens to start with but figured I'd better make room for more as I know how chicken math goes from these forums.

So it sounds like I should definitely go with poop boards, but other then that it sounds like with the ladder it will be okay?
fl.gif

Thank you, thank you, everyone!! I feel a lot better now, I was thinking I messed up!

Pat- good advice, I really do need to RELAX.

Last edited:
It seems to be a good setup - similar to mine
tongue.png
I would make 2 changes/additions. #1 - Poop or droppings board under the roost. It makes cleaning up soooo much easier. and #2 - ramp up to the roost. I have similar breeds, and while all the birds don't use the ramp all the time, several use it all the time or most use it some of the time....
31803_150.jpg

you can see a small portion of the ramp here
31803_eggs.jpg

newchicksnducks -- my what *colorful* eggs your hens lay, and how convenient to have them already perforated around the middle so they break evenly for cooking or hatching!
lol.png

Pat,

Great coop! You did a wonderful job. I was wondering if you are considering sand for the floor. I was reading someone's post last week about how great sand is.
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks! I can't wait until it is all finished and I paint the outside ! I wasn't planning on using sand, but I did just read the post about it? I already bought pine shavings so I guess I will go with that for now, maybe sand will be in my future?
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom