Is my rooster attacking me?

I have chickens and roosters pecking at my feet or legs. I thought it was because they were looking for food or attention. I didn't think they were pecking particularly hard either. When I walk though the yard, everyone follows me pretty quickly and closely, including my rooster. So I don't think that just because he was running up to you, or that he was pecking at your feet that he was mean.

I've had real mean roosters in the past, and none of them pecked at me. They'd rush right up to people and get them with their spurs and once, one flew down from the rafters right into my hair and flogged me. So I don't think your rooster was being mean.

However, I agree with the others, if he didn't mean to be mean before, he will now that you ran from him
tongue.png

I've tamed a mean rooster by submitting him to holdings, pettings and hand feeding. He's really cool now. He's over three years old and pretty tame. He never bothers anyone, even me
tongue.png
But I've only taken the time to do that once. The rest of them made some nice dinners
smile.png
Both my um, "pet" and the one who flew on top of me from the rafters were RIRs. I've had different kinds in the past though. I found my EE's to be especially aggressive and nice meal makers
smile.png

He's probably trying to test you. If you show him who's boss soon, you may nip it in the bud. He will probably always bother the hen. That's just what roos do......

Quote:
My roo keeps his distance outside, except at treat time. He'll take treats from me, but always ready to back off if I move closer.
When I do pick him up, he's calm and quiet in my arms but he does have a look on his face the whole time that clearly says "She's gonna kill me!!!" Just like he would have if he was overpowered by a stronger roo.

What does it mean when a rooster comes at you sideways? I have only had my rooster for a month and thought that it meant that he wanted to tread me! He is only a bantam and very tiny so I just put out my hand and try to pat him. Is this a mistake? He does give me a little peck sometimes. He is only about 20 weeks old. Will he turn nasty?

Quote:
Sideways with the wing dipped? Dancing and that's not a nice thing. A roo will dance around a hen with the outer wing dipped in an effort to make her mind.
Wouldn't work with me. He'd be chased. I can wing dance and flap my wings every bit as good as the next roo.
wink.png

we have 4 roos all RIR. whenever they wanted to bite and they bite hard if your not quick enough my hubby would grab him and hold him for 20 min or so and we both would pet him. took about 20 times but i can now pet them anytime i want to and no bites.. if they tried to mate in front of me. i knocked them off spread my arms open wide and chased them saying "mine" and they started to back away.. hubby tried booting them lightly so as not to hurt him but he jumped on hubbys foot and bit his leg.. so it is better to have you both out there and grab him and pet and pet.. they really do calm down when they start mating well. today i went out to let hens and roos out of pen and picked up a hen and the roo flew to my shoulder and just sat there sweet as can be.. i was surprised .. i scruffed his chest a little bit and he flew off.. all the roos but one are loveing the chest rub.. but one.. he is a runt.. little and fast.. you couldn't catch him if you tried.. but he doesn't bother anyone either..the other 3 are very tame now.. just takes time.. they are 6 mos old

Reaching out to him that way, patting him or whatever may be the right thing to do. At least you're not acting fearful, which IS a bad thing. I'd do whatever feels right. If he backs off after you've patted him, it's probaly good. If he keeps it up, maybe he needs to be pushed away a bit, or maybe picked up to demonstrate that you are the 'top' roo.

There's no way to tell if a rooster will 'turn' nasty or not. Any roo may test us, it all depends on how he reacts to your actions when he does so. All you can do is be confident around him, be the dominant roo. Possibly use the more mild parts of Rooster-Red's "Dealing With Roosters" page (here - https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2588-Roo_behavior) or some method you devise to make sure you are the 'big dawg' in the coop.

Assert your dominance. Don't let him think he is number 1.

RIR roos are notorious for being on the aggressive side. If he gets aggressive and you send him to freezer camp, I would go with a more laid back roo breed.

Thanks to those above who answered my question. Very useful information.
I wanted a closer look at my little roo yesterday so I stooped down and held out my hand to encourage him closer so that I could grab him. He did his dance and when he got near enough I made my move. He is so quick that I only got hold of a few wing feathers. He pulled away and after a short struggle I had to let go in case I hurt him. It gave him such a shock that he has not done his dance since!
Poor little soul, but perhaps it has made him think!

Quote:
I think that's exactly what it did, made him think twice about trying to dominate you. Good work!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom