Is my rooster just mean?

Ouch, sorry to hear that!

Most roosters would be considered to have proven themselves by then.. and be very valued members of their flocks (including the keeper).. generally only the good boys make it THAT far.. maybe he's earned the benefit of the doubt??

I'm not a proponent of one being ousted due to underlying health conditions that might attract disease or predation and somehow only the flock (or lead) can detect.. but do have to wonder why the sudden change at a decent age.

Azygous even has some good information when one is "asking" to be bullied (or somehow accidentally inviting it) how to build their confidence back.. that may be just as helpful as all of our suggestions to cull either by re-homing, harvesting, composting, etc..
So I went out tonight to move Buddy. Only one of the hens was in the coup. Moved Buddy and put all the girls up. Got him by himself now. I'll watch them tomorrow and see how they all act. Gonna check out Azygous' threads too. The only reason he's not in the pot is because he has been so good. I just don't get it.

The only reason I’ve ever had a rooster try to chase off a hen was because she had lice and all the chickens knew it before I did… once that was taken care of he didn’t chase her off anymore.

I’d check your hen over well before making a decision but if you don’t find anything I would definitely get rid of Buddy!
I've picked her up twice today. I pet her and scratched her head. I didn't notice anything but I wasn't really looking for lice. I'll check her tomorrow. Thanks!

So I went out tonight to move Buddy. Only one of the hens was in the coup. Moved Buddy and put all the girls up. Got him by himself now. I'll watch them tomorrow and see how they all act. Gonna check out Azygous' threads too. The only reason he's not in the pot is because he has been so good. I just don't get it.
That's curious. Watch the next few nights and see if he is bullying the hens and not letting them into the coop at night. That might help you make up your mind about how to move forward. Best wishes to you and your flock!

Roosters and hens have a set of personal behaviors. So it's hard to say why he would behave that way unless your watching for signs of what triggered him to be that way. But just because he is expected to accept every hen in the flock won't always happen.

I've seen this with my own flock. But for my situation, I gave her space to roost by herself for several months. Had her spend daylight hours with flock and my rooster finally came around to accepting her. She was a young hen under a year old.

But I do agree with everyone's opinion on getting rid of the rooster if you want an immediate change.
I wish I could give her that much time but I'm afraid something will get her. And I'm kinda worried Buddy will do this again to another hen. The coup was in chaos last night. Only Buddy and one hen was in there. He's now in lock-down and I'm watching to see if the girls will get back together. Thanks Tonyroo!

That's curious. Watch the next few nights and see if he is bullying the hens and not letting them into the coop at night. That might help you make up your mind about how to move forward. Best wishes to you and your flock!
Very curious! I've seen him call the girls when it's time to go to bed. I've watched him let all the girls in before he went in. Everything is calm since I've put him up and it just makes me sad that the problem seems to be him. I've pretty much decided to give him away but if the girls have the same issues tonight then he might not be the problem. Thanks Big BlueHen53!

Why don't you allow the rooster who is the best with the girls, stay with the girls and make a bachelor pad for the others. There will be more peach.
That's kinda what I'm doing now. Buddy went into the rooster's roost, away from the others until I can figure this out and I've let out one of the young roo/cockerel. Raleigh is trying his best to woo these girls. Keeping my fingers crossed! lol Thanks triciayoung!

How old is your rooster? Just checking to see how mature he is.
Buddy is 2.5yrs old. He was about 6 months when I bought him. He's good around people and the 8wk old chicks when I let them out during the day. He's never had a problem with my big dogs or chased one of the grandkids. He's always been a well-mannered roo until now.

Back
Top Bottom