is my rooster trying to lay an egg? does this hen have wry neck? pics!

Not necessarily. i don't have personal experience with coccidiosis, but lots with mites. i've had a pen where only one bird had a bad infestation. When i checked the others, i found none. So i think some birds are more susceptible to mites, just like some people get eaten alive by mosquitos and the person right next to them is fine. With most diseases, you will have some birds suffer or die and others pull through.

Although, if you find mites, lice, or have even one bird with cocci, you would want to treat them all.

From those pics you just posted, it does look like a roo. Hard to tell with white feathers! here is a picture I grabbed off the internet to show you what rooster saddle feathers will look like.

86756_rooster_butt.jpg

I'd like to say that hens don't start to lay until around 4 months, I might be completely off on that one. Definitely older then 16 weeks though.

I would also quaratine the one that is pretending to eat... She isn't... (soft food...egg bread, baby cereal, cranberry sauce) Also use duramyacin in their water (or terramyacin) along with the sulmet.. do not use vitamins... I would to this immediately if you don't want to lose the buff.... The rooster or hen makes no difference unless it lived to crow or lay an egg... I believe you have a sick flock....Don't worry about poo haveing blood or not...It sometimes doesn't in some cases...

Ms.Frizzle :

From those pics you just posted, it does look like a roo. Hard to tell with white feathers! here is a picture I grabbed off the internet to show you what rooster saddle feathers will look like.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/86756_rooster_butt.jpg

I'd like to say that hens don't start to lay until around 4 months, I might be completely off on that one. Definitely older then 16 weeks though.

i bought it with abunch of other maran chicks and this one he said was like 6weeks old. and the others were just 1-2. he said he could pretty confidently say that this was a roo given the size of its comb compared to the others. and it was pretty large in comparison. by other roo doesnt have his saddle feathers yet either. could it be that they havent come in yet?​

I guess my main concern for the roo/hen is if its eeg binding. If I feel her abdomen will I be able to feel an egg? Are there any other things to be looking for?

Back
Top Bottom