Is my run cluttered enough?

That looks great! Are those pallets?
Yes. Once I figured out chickens aren’t terribly picky, I found whatever was cheap and stuck it in there. Pallet on left at ground level as well as plywood against back wall work good for hide spots for chickens that caught the eye of the cranky ones. If I spend any time keeping them in the coop, I put food and water on second level so they can get up and eat, and dive off if mrs meany comes at them. I have since hung my feed and water to open a little floor space as well as keep the dirt from bathing out of both. I have had 3 generations of chickens in there locked up with no issues.

Definitely go vertical with maybe a caticornered perch or two, though it’s probably just fine the way you have it. I like your water set up - do you have electric or did you have to run an extension cord?

I‘ve found rearranging old stuff makes it new and interesting for the ladies. That, and hiding treats they can find when they’re scratching around.

Your birds look happy. Are those the same ones you rented?
I tried one but it was too high for them to use properly-I'll try to set one up lower, though. You can't see it in the pics, but the cord for the heated waterer goes out (our hc is a bit weird so we have it going out through that) and there are extension cords to a plug we have on our deck.

Good idea!

They are the very same! I've certainly come a long way with them.

One concern is the heated base sitting on the ground not protected from the weather.
As to the rest, really need to see some pics from farther back showing the whole coop and run.
Put the old Adirondack chair next to the run too.
The one there is from TSC and it said that it could be used for outdoors. Would I need to move it all the way in the coop, or would putting some bricks or paving stones under it be ok?
I do have a pic, but it shows off the things that still need work--one of the roof panels came off the run in high winds (to be reattached tomorrow) and there is some chicken wire in spots because we ran out of HC. Hopefully we can go get more HC tomorrow.
1604789721521.png

Adirondack chair can be moved next to the run tomorrow.

[ATTACH type="full" width="324px" alt="IMG-2001.jpg said:
2402972[/ATTACH]
Food and water setup. The water is on a heated base for winter, and the feeder (milk jug with hole and rock in it) is on a tray that is set up on some bricks. The tray catches the spilled food and has really helped with wasting less food. These are near the door, and I don't have any issues with them crowding or struggling to get to the food. Food can be moved elsewhere but waterer can't because of the cord for the heated base.
What are your comments/thoughts/suggestions?
I really like your idea for the feeder and may copy it. Right now, my girls are eating out of a loaf pan. It would be simple enough to put it in a tray to catch the scatter.

My run still needs some work in the construction department, but I do have a question about if it's cluttered enough/not boring for my hens. I have four hens. Here is the run (chickens are standard size, so I suppose they can be used for scale lol):
View attachment 2402937
View from the door. The litter is a mix of topsoil/leaves/straw/shavings/really whatever ends up there. They usually mix everything around, but I had just moved some dirty shavings out of the coop and into the run, so that is why the shavings are all on top. The stool that is there is one I made in woodshop in school for a project a WHILE ago, and it just sat collecting dust until I figured the chickens might like it. Perch is made from scrap wood left over from run building. They use both of them all the time.
View attachment 2402961
View of under the coop. They regularly go under there as well, but as of right now there is nothing under there.
View attachment 2402972
Food and water setup. The water is on a heated base for winter, and the feeder (milk jug with hole and rock in it) is on a tray that is set up on some bricks. The tray catches the spilled food and has really helped with wasting less food. These are near the door, and I don't have any issues with them crowding or struggling to get to the food. Food can be moved elsewhere but waterer can't because of the cord for the heated base.
What are your comments/thoughts/suggestions?
I bought a chicken feeder that I hang up with a flexible wire from the coop roof (the feeder was only about $17.00). That keeps mice and other rodents from getting into the pellets. I don’t have much food spilled as the bottom is a lipped tray.

I bought a chicken feeder that I hang up with a flexible wire from the coop roof (the feeder was only about $17.00). That keeps mice and other rodents from getting into the pellets. I don’t have much food spilled as the bottom is a lipped tray.
I am worried that with a hanging feeder they will get over enthusiastic, run straight into it, and send it swinging, therefor tipping food out. I am going to try fermented feed, so I think I'll stick to my milk jug. Thanks for the suggestion, though!!!

Back
Top Bottom