Is my she a he?

Graiae66

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 3, 2009
Georgia
Hi, all,

I'm at week 15 with chickens, and everyone is great. However, I am wondering if the largest, oldest "hen" is really a roo? She's very friendly, no spurs, but she does take on that roo role (crows, protects, etc.). I know that's not unexpected for the dominant female, but...I just don't know enough to be sure. Here are some pics; this is Domine, and she's about 13-14 weeks old.

Thanks for your help!

Dee

Tail:
38308_dominetailemail.jpg

Head:
38308_dominefaceemail.jpg

Another head close up (she's the one in the middle):
38308_domineandcirceemailsize.jpg

It's just so funny. I got 4 chickens from a local chicken farmer--all "hens." Two died within a week. One is now a rooster (this one, Domine). I lucked out by buying the rest from My Pet Chicken--12 pullets. Yes, there is one who *might* be a roo (bigger, redder comb), but they've all been incredibly healthy, and 1 roo in 12 still defies the odds.

I like Domine a lot, so maybe we'll keep her, um, I mean him, around...

dee

Oh, yes. We have 5 acres in the middle of NOwhere. All the neighbors have critters--donkeys, dogs, goats, chickens, you name it.

I guess I just wanted hens for the eggs, not so much to raise chicks. It's not a huge problem. His crows are not too bad.

dee

I got 2 "accidental" roos too. I didn't want any. I was able to give one to my cousin who lost over 30 chickens to a family of coons. And the other I just liked so much. But if he hurts my kids, he'll have to go. He has grown on us though. He really is a good boy. We pick him up every day to hopefully keep him nice.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom