Is my Silkie a cross with something?

Equest94

Songster
12 Years
May 29, 2007
New York
Hi,

I have a year old Silkie roo that I got from a local Tractor Supply store. I know that chicks from feed stores are not normally up to par with breed standards, but I'm wondering if I got an actual miss with this guy...

This is Yeti:

I know the pictures are not the best, but I'm sure you notice that his comb and waddles are uncharacteristically red (my other silkie roo has dark purple/black). Also, his lower eye lids are rimmed yellow - which shows light pigment which is the opposite of the black skin that the breed has. Yeti also does not have much feathering on his feet - I say he has "feather sprouts" as opposed to the heavy plumage the breed should have,.. He dose have the "funky toes" and "fur" though...

Any thoughts on whether he's just a bad example of a Silkie or a mix? If a mix, what to you think he could be crossed with?

For comparison, this is my other Silkie roo, Mr. Puffy, that I got along with the one in question:

(I believe he fits the breed a bit better)

hes pure with hatchery silkies i have noticed that they can be all over the wall in looks

chicknadventure...whats creepy???

He is super cute! Pet quality Silkie...look at those eyes! Such a sweet expression, not "creepy" at all!

Sorry let me explain better :) not creepy in a bad way. It's like he is looking though the screen and then the full shot he seems very regal. In The few pics of adult silkies I have seen they always spook cuddly. This one is like " yo. I am a real chicken so back off" in a Barry white voice.

Sorry op if I offended you. Even if he isn't perfect to type he is a cool looking chicken.

Hahaha!

No offense taken. All of my chickens sort have became stalkers of me. They're my posse and follow me EVERYWHERE - it's a bit odd and pretty creepy at times, LOL!

Also, Yeti seems to have some hatred towards my mom and any family member on her side... I have no idea why, but he always attacks her when she comes over, as well as any visiting relatives. She swears he's the devil so she would definitely agree that he's "creepy." He does give you a deep soul-piercing stare.... I'm very happy he's fond of me...

Thank you all for your opinions/thoughts. I know that my silkies are pet quality, but Yeti just looks SO DIFFERENT compared to my others and the ones my friends got - just needed to ask to confirm.

(btw - Mr. Yeti will be a dad soon! I'm so excited about hatching my own chicks.I have a broody hen and the first eggs should be hatching any day now! Unfortunately, the chicks are all going to be mixed breeds... but I'm very curious to see what these silkie crosses will look like nonetheless,)

Back
Top Bottom