Is my silkie brooding?

Nelsr55

In the Brooder
May 13, 2022
I have a silkie who is staying mostly in the coop. She has even been setting on the other hens eggs. We are a bit concerned she isn’t getting enough food or water. Is this brooding? What should we do? Should we get her a fake egg? My husband took her out today and closed the coop up and she did just fine but as soon as he opened it, she was right back in there. Thanks

I have a silkie who is staying mostly in the coop. She has even been setting on the other hens eggs. We are a bit concerned she isn’t getting enough food or water. Is this brooding? What should we do? Should we get her a fake egg? My husband took her out today and closed the coop up and she did just fine but as soon as he opened it, she was right back in there. Thanks
PS she hasn’t laid her own egg in two days!

No I don’t plan on raising chicks since we live in town and really don’t have the room.
Just advice. Silkies can only reallisticaly hatch 5 eggs tops Since there so small. 95% of the time the momma handles the raising. Your hands off much as possible. Even if she hatches all 5, at least 2 will be roos. given the avg house loses 1-2 birds a year, your realy not giving up any space. And being silkies someone will always take The roos.

Yes she is def broody I have a silkie hen who is broody and she is an awesome momma but it depends if you want babies :)

Back
Top Bottom