Is my silkie going through an identity crisis?

Redtape

Hatching
Aug 10, 2016
Richmond Texas
5 months ago i bought 3 silkies at 3days old, one brown, one white, one black. I was told they were sexed as pullets but the white one is definitely a roo; the brown one is absolutely a hen but the black one is showing strong traits the other two have and i cannot for the life of me tell if I'm going to have more eggs or more fights.
The white one and the one in question fight all the time but if I'm not mistaken, some pullets will be more aggressive toward males than others.
Her (his) feathering is closer to the brown (fem) one but has waddle like the roo & just recently started to try and crow (sounds pretty f'in funny) as the white has been doing for over a month now & as i understand some hens will try to crow.

This chicken really has me perplexed, I'd really like some onput from you folks who know more about this than i do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi :welcome

Silkies can't be sexed at three days old, they are one of the tougher breeds to determine gender on. Sometimes it can take up to 6 months to know for sure. I'm afraid whomever you bought them from told you an untruth on gender at that age.

If you could post some pics of your birds that would be fantastic. Members will be able to help you with determining the gender of them.

Last edited:
Post pics.

Sounds like someone tried wing sexing them which does not work for silkies as the proper fast feathering gene is not in any silkie line.

No one can sex silkies accurately at 3 days If you would post some good photos of your birds, they are old enough where they should be displaying gender specific traits. A good side view - standing and good face forward closeup - with crest held back to show comb - of each bird would be a great help in ID-ing them for you. I'm anxious to see them

If two of them are already crowing however, you've got your answer right there.

Is the brown one really brown like chocolate, or more a buff color? Just curious - I've never seen a chocolate silkie but, would like too.

The brown one i know is female

The white one i know is male

The black one in question (wouldn't sit still long enough for a decent pic)

Another of him (her?) next to the white one.

The feathering looks like the girl but has traits of the Cockrell too.
I hope this helps you guys help me.

Also, the black one's 'crowing' still sounds more fake,forced, (and comical) than the crowing of my roo even after almost a month when it took my roo (the white one) only 2-3 days to let out a proper "cock-a-doodle-doo".

Back
Top Bottom