1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is my silkie going through an identity crisis?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Redtape, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Redtape

Redtape New Egg

Aug 10, 2016
    Richmond Texas
    5 months ago i bought 3 silkies at 3days old, one brown, one white, one black. I was told they were sexed as pullets but the white one is definitely a roo; the brown one is absolutely a hen but the black one is showing strong traits the other two have and i cannot for the life of me tell if I'm going to have more eggs or more fights.
    The white one and the one in question fight all the time but if I'm not mistaken, some pullets will be more aggressive toward males than others.
    Her (his) feathering is closer to the brown (fem) one but has waddle like the roo & just recently started to try and crow (sounds pretty f'in funny) as the white has been doing for over a month now & as i understand some hens will try to crow.

This chicken really has me perplexed, I'd really like some onput from you folks who know more about this than i do.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2016
  2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Silkies can't be sexed at three days old, they are one of the tougher breeds to determine gender on. Sometimes it can take up to 6 months to know for sure. I'm afraid whomever you bought them from told you an untruth on gender at that age.

If you could post some pics of your birds that would be fantastic. Members will be able to help you with determining the gender of them.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    Post pics.

Sounds like someone tried wing sexing them which does not work for silkies as the proper fast feathering gene is not in any silkie line.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    No one can sex silkies accurately at 3 days If you would post some good photos of your birds, they are old enough where they should be displaying gender specific traits. A good side view - standing and good face forward closeup - with crest held back to show comb - of each bird would be a great help in ID-ing them for you. I'm anxious to see them

If two of them are already crowing however, you've got your answer right there.

Is the brown one really brown like chocolate, or more a buff color? Just curious - I've never seen a chocolate silkie but, would like too.

5. Redtape

Redtape New Egg

Aug 10, 2016
    Richmond Texas
    [​IMG]
    The brown one i know is female

[​IMG]
    The white one i know is male

[​IMG]
    The black one in question (wouldn't sit still long enough for a decent pic)

[​IMG]
    Another of him (her?) next to the white one.

The feathering looks like the girl but has traits of the Cockrell too.
    I hope this helps you guys help me.

6. Redtape

Redtape New Egg

Aug 10, 2016
    Richmond Texas
    Also, the black one's 'crowing' still sounds more fake,forced, (and comical) than the crowing of my roo even after almost a month when it took my roo (the white one) only 2-3 days to let out a proper "cock-a-doodle-doo".

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

That s a cockerel.

8. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Agreed, definitely a cockerel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by