Is my silkie ok?

Macaw

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2023
Texas
Hi, I recently got some new silkie chicks and I've noticed that one of them is a lot smaller then the others, and i just want to check and make sure that my little chick is OK.
(they're both the same age but the chick in front looks a lot younger then the chick in the back) thank you!
IMG_8273 (4).JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8273 (2).JPG
    IMG_8273 (2).JPG
    441 KB · Views: 5
Where did these chicks come from out of curiosity? There are bantam varieties of silkies which are smaller than standard sized. However that feather type and color tells me that the small one is a mix of some kind

Hello!

I don’t think that the gray chick in the front is 100% silkie bantam… it looks like a silkie cross.

How old are the chicks? Could it be that the black one is a male and is just growing faster? The genes of the hybrid chick could just cause it to grow slower or simply be smaller even when it’s fully grown.

If the gray chick still seems to be growing, I don’t think that it’s anything to worry about too much, but others may have more knowledge or advice than me. :)

Hi, I got the chicks from a breeder nearby, and the chicks are about a month old, and i'd be interested to see what the chick is crossed with because it has some pretty coloring on its back:)

Hi, I got the chicks from a breeder nearby, and the chicks are about a month old, and i'd be interested to see what the chick is crossed with because it has some pretty coloring on its back:)
With the barred coloring it could be a silkie crossed with one of the various barred breeds like barred rocks, cuckoo marans, Dominiques or something similar.

OK thank you, so does that mean that it is probably just the genetics that caused this chick to be smaller/grow slower, like CloverTheRabbit said ? :)

OK thank you, so does that mean that it is probably just the genetics that caused this chick to be smaller/grow slower, like CloverTheRabbit said ? :)

I think so. If they have a healthy appetite and everything they may just be a squirt naturally

ok thank you so much, and I now realize that I probably put this thread in the wrong section 😆

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom