Is my vet taking advantage of me?

DucksOhio

Crowing
7 Years
Oct 17, 2016
Northeast Ohio
The saga of Sugar.

About 6 weeks ago, I took my welshie girl into treatment for bumblefoot.

They recommended surgery to remove the infection, and I agreed.

2 weeks after the surgery, we went back to the vet for a follow up, and they said she was doing great. More bandages, bring her back in 2 weeks.

She got a positive review, and said 2 more weeks for final bandage removal.

When I brought her back for final removal of bandages, the vet told me me that she had a badly broken toe due to the infection. The toe would need to be amputated.

I was heartbroken, but agreed to the amputation. Now she can’t walk at all. Please realize that I followed the vet’s advice 100%, and this sweet girl has not left the duck house in 7 weeks. This has cost me well over $2,000.

Because of covid, I have had no face to face with the doctor. I’ve been charged for 2 X-rays, which I have never seen.

The new bandages on her feet have made her unable to walk at all. It seems like he has bounded her feet to make more complications.

The vet told me I could remove the bandages after one week. (It’s been 3 days). Then one more week of isolation.

im so angry and concerned about my sweet duck that I am losing sleep.

There is another duck vet not really near by, but should I get a second opinion?

God bless all.

I've done tons of research on dog food, and the vet has recommended the absolute worst kind of food. Why, you may ask, would a vet do that? Short answer- if they have healthy dogs and animals no one will need to go to the vet, which means they don't get paid.
It's sad really, to think that someone would want pets to suffer just for money.
I would have another vet look at her foot.
I'm not experienced with this but maybe someone can guide you though the surgery?
Anyway, I hope she gets better ❤

I have always done my own bumble foot surgeries. I had a frequent flyer, a chicken not a duck. Finding a good avian vet is hard. Sorry you have had to go through this. I would consult another vet and bring the medical record, then an attorney. Find a vet that has experience with birds. Sounded like they had no idea what they were doing.

Back
Top Bottom