Is 'nastiness' in Roosters truly heritable?

Quote:
This is a great mean leghorn story. I work with a lot of Mexicans. They somehow ended up with some white leghorn cockerels on tie-cords in their back yard. Some neighbors complained, and the birds had to go. One of my friends, neighbors, and co-worker, said she would take them. In a few months, one of these guys had turned into a real thug, had killed or maimed all her other males, and was a vicious, insane manfighter. He caught her in the leg very badly, and the wound required serious stitches. When she came home from the ER, she wanted to kill this rooster, but, she was scared to death of him, too. She decided to shoot him with a .22 from the kitchen window.
lol.png

He fell down on the first shot, but got back up. She shot him a second time, and he appeared to be down. She walked out with a shovel to bury him, and when she got close, he jumped up and tried to attack her again!! She ended up just bashing him with the shovel....
tongue.png
lol.png
tongue.png
big_smile.png

We had white leghorns that nasty as kids, my brother still has scars from them. I still like leghorns, anyway!!!

I really think personality is extremely genetic. Look at dogs for example-what has been done with breeding of personality and temperament of dogs is truly mind-blowing!! Environment always plays a role in development, but, I think most of it is simply inherited. There have been a lot of great responses to this!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Ditto!

Every animal I've ever worked with can have it's behavior modified or "fixed" with selective breeding. Since there are multiple genes involved, It takes a lot of careful inbreeding to completely "fix" a behavioral trait, but you can be sure that a majority can be bred with certain behavior by the person who knows what they're doing.

wow. thank you all.

such attention makes me feel like a celebrity!

just a little ot, cynthia......is Suede a Del.?

curious

Back
Top Bottom