Is no water in the pen at night ok?

Sinister

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 13, 2012
My ducks are free range during the day and put up at night. There are several water sources around their range that they can get to during the day.

Up until now I had a tub in their pen, in the fenced in run section. It made a horrible muddy mess, but they liked it so I kept it in there. Now that its cold at night, that mud has turned to ice and I dont really like the floor of their pen to be one solid lumpy sheet of frozen mud. I took the tub out, but now they have no water in the pen at night.

When I let them out yesterday you would have thought they were dying. Normally they linger around in the pen after I open the door, but that day they bolted out, straight for the nearest water and did nothing but drink for a good half hour. I would have thought a night without water wouldnt be a big deal, but they seemed rather upset by it.

I do notice that when they eat, they also like to drink after every mouthful, and I left the food in the pen. The only time the eat from the feeder is at night, and during the day they dont go near it, so I thought if I take it out, they would never eat from it.

Was it just them not being used to no nighttime drinking, or can they really not go a whole night without water?

I do notice that when they eat, they also like to drink after every mouthful, and I left the food in the pen. The only time the eat from the feeder is at night, and during the day they dont go near it, so I thought if I take it out, they would never eat from it.

If I am reading this correctly, you took out the water but left the food? That is actually a big no-no. They should never have food without access to water, they need to be able to drink to help wash the food down. Without water they could choke.

Yes, thats what I did, and exactly what I am concerned about.

So, I'll get the food out as well.

Thanks!

Yes, definitely get the food out, I promise they will be ok overnight without it, and they will be more hungry for it in the morning.
smile.png

We've been putting in a small pail of water and food at night. I'm glad to know they can go without it though! How old before I can remove the food and water at night? My oldest are 9 weeks tomorrow.

Ducks don't have saliva that is why they MUST have water if they have food. I keep feed/water with my flock 24/7 but soon the ones stalled will have to stop since i cannot offer enough heated water sources.

Really, a personal thing and should not be done with young though.

Back
Top Bottom