Is one of my Buff Orpingtons a rooster?

FlockOfFifteen

Hatching
Oct 1, 2020
3
3
5
I have 6 Buff Orpingtons as part of my flock that was hatched on June 30th, so they are 3 months old now. I was hoping to get at least one rooster for flock protection and the other normal reasons for wanting a roo. I found a 4 month old rooster that someone is giving away so I was planning on picking him up this weekend but I took a closer look at my ladies today and one of the Buff Orpingtons is starting to look a bit different that the other 5 - slightly larger comb, the only one with wattles, and it looks like slightly longer tail feathers coming in. I'd hate to pick up a rooster this weekend and then end up having a second.

Apologies for no labels on the pictures but hopefully its obvious which chicken I'm asking about. Thanks for the assistance!

36867.jpeg
36866.jpeg
36870.jpeg
36865.jpeg
20201001_115137.jpg
 

Attachments

FlockOfFifteen

Hatching
Oct 1, 2020
3
3
5
Thanks ya'll, its what I assumed but wanted a little consensus.
Follow up question. Would it be advisable to hold off on getting the second male? Currently there are 14 other pullets. Space wise they are in a 10x10 secured kennel with an enclosed roosting area inside that. That is inside our 50x25 fenced in garden area that they range in during the day. Once we get some of our perimeter fences fixed and can release them from the garden area they'll have access to about 1/2 acre during the day.
 

OneHappyRooster

Free Ranging
Apr 5, 2020
5,589
11,128
566
Orpington-Land
Thanks ya'll, its what I assumed but wanted a little consensus.
Follow up question. Would it be advisable to hold off on getting the second male? Currently there are 14 other pullets. Space wise they are in a 10x10 secured kennel with an enclosed roosting area inside that. That is inside our 50x25 fenced in garden area that they range in during the day. Once we get some of our perimeter fences fixed and can release them from the garden area they'll have access to about 1/2 acre during the day.
I would hold off, at least for now, just because two cockerels are going to be more trouble than one.
With 14 pullets and that amount of space you should be ok with 2 cockerels, if you did decide to take him.
What breed is the cockerel you were planning on picking up?
 

FuzzyCritters

Songster
Mar 13, 2020
739
963
136
Kitsap county, WA
Thanks ya'll, its what I assumed but wanted a little consensus.
Follow up question. Would it be advisable to hold off on getting the second male? Currently there are 14 other pullets. Space wise they are in a 10x10 secured kennel with an enclosed roosting area inside that. That is inside our 50x25 fenced in garden area that they range in during the day. Once we get some of our perimeter fences fixed and can release them from the garden area they'll have access to about 1/2 acre during the day.
Yes, it would be better to just have one cockerel. 1:14 is a pretty good ratio, and adding another cockerel could upset the flock structure. You might be alright with 2 cockerels, but the flock would be better just keeping the one.
 

FlockOfFifteen

Hatching
Oct 1, 2020
3
3
5
I would hold off, at least for now, just because two cockerels are going to be more trouble than one.
With 14 pullets and that amount of space you should be ok with 2 cockerels, if you did decide to take him.
What breed is the cockerel you were planning on picking up?
The cockerel I'm considering adding is a Barred Rock. The flock he'd be joining has 4 Barred Rocks, 4 Silver Laced Wyandottes, 1 Cream Legbar and 6 Buff Orpingtons.
 

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom