Is one roost in my coop enough?

Vickilynn45

Songster
7 Years
Apr 16, 2012
We have a 2x4 across the back of the coop that measures 89 inches and sets up higher than the nesting boxes. Is that enough for our six chicks? It's funny as they are eight weeks old right now and they all cram on the end by the window- just smashed together lol. I'd like to get about three more chicks in the future- or possibly bring it up to ten. Should I put in another roost?

It's plenty. They only need around 12" each, at most. And it's normal for them to clump together like that. They will also squabble -- nightly -- over what they consider the "good end" of the roost; it's part of the whole pecking order deal.

It's plenty. They only need around 12" each, at most. And it's normal for them to clump together like that. They will also squabble -- nightly -- over what they consider the "good end" of the roost; it's part of the whole pecking order deal.
It's so funny as everyone argues each night- they all want the 'window seat' lol! We get a kick out of watching them step on each other and fuss.

I sit on my porch each evening at bedtime, just so I can listen to the girls jockeying for position. I swear I heard one yell, "Shotgun!" one night.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom