Is our roo just getting his hens in line????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RoosterRidge, Jul 5, 2011.

1. RoosterRidge

RoosterRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Dry Fork, Va.
    Our roo is 12 weeks old and for the past two days he has been really rough on his girls.
    When I used to open the run door for them they would all come rushing out.
    For the last two days he comes out first and then if one happens to run out past him,
    He gets really mad and pecks them on their necks. At first we thought he was trying to mate.
    He is also the last one in at night and we always go check on them and shut the windows around 10-12.
    He is always on the floor or on the bottom of the roost. I see him make calls during the day and they all
    come running, one didn't run fast enough and he pecked her good. Is he trying to get the chicken yard in line or what? Could it be possible that he would be trying to mate at 12 weeks. We have 26 girls and he is the only roo, we are hoping that he can maintain some control over them. We started off with what we thought were 27 girls and when we started seeing the changes in his appearance we realized how lucky we are. We have left him alone thus far but when he got so ruff when one of his girls at 12 weeks he got a bowl of water thrown on him. That was all we could get to at the time as they were in the run. Any opinions on this matter will be greatly appreciated....

2. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    He has his hands full with all those girls, and I think he's trying to get them organized now while he still has a chance.
    As long as he isn't drawing blood or singling out any particular girl, I wouldn't worry.

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    26 to 1....in human world that may sound pretty good, but I would say you need another rooster, IMO..I could be wrong, I have 16 pullets, about 13 weeks, and 3 roos, we are giving one away...it sounds to me just that, he is in charge and by god they will know it! [​IMG]

I don't think you should worry, I am watching mine starting to do the same thing, one roo has taken the lead as in charge...the others stay away from him...funny, we thought this was a pullet for ever, till recently, now he is the dominant roo...just be careful you don't see any real harm being done, but I don't think you have anything to worry about...

You may want to get another opinion on whether you should have another roo though.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Agreed. Not drawing blood, he'll figure it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by