Is Pharoah another color of Coturnix?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by NancyDz, Jun 14, 2009.

1. NancyDz

NancyDz Songster

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Or is it a different kind of quail??

thanks

nancy

2. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    pharaoh = brown coturnix.... the plain jane buick centry of the quail breeds [​IMG] Very tasty

3. kingmt

kingmt Songster

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    Quote:I don't have a better way of putting it.

4. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    LOL i like boyds discription

the only thing i can add to this is ....is that a pharoah is the wild type, as in only 5-6 ounces at adult weight and brown.....the same thing as all other coturnix, just the wild type.

Best way to put it, ya know how you can get bobwhites in the traditional bobwhite colors (aka the wild colors) but you can also get them in white and red and golden? Same dealio with coturnix [​IMG] Pharoah is the wild [​IMG]

5. NancyDz

NancyDz Songster

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Okay someone is selling a pair on craigslist but they are saying they are good for cleaning up the seed in your aviary and that the male only crows once in the morning... So it didnt sound like my coturnix LOL My roos are crowing all day! Well at least the newly crowing A&M's do. [​IMG] So the seed in the aviary sounded more like a button quail to me.

Nancy

6. Boyd

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    that's what they're know for [​IMG] I think it's because they are a ground loving bird, not real big on roosting. My cousins have peafowl in a large paddock, and I think I am going to see if they'd like to have some quailies of their own to help with the lil critter populations [​IMG] Sort of keep the floors clean to keep the rodents out!

7. NancyDz

NancyDz Songster

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Ahhh I didnt realize people used coturnix for that too... should I be feeding mine some seed?

I used to get it for my buttons but havent for my coturnix.

8. Boyd

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    I don't know the nutritional value of seeds, but like any bird, they eat about anything [​IMG]

9. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Also like any husband. [​IMG]

10. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    seeds would be considered treats only to be given sparingly.

Best treat with seeds is to let the seeds germinate for 3 days before you feed it to htem it ups the nutirtional value [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: