Is Quarantine Necessary for Chicks from Same Farm?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by thailand, May 12, 2011.

1. thailand

thailand Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi,

I'd like to hear the advice of others please. I have 3 three month old chicks - 2 roos and just the 1 pullet. I'm wanting to add to my flock and am thinking about getting another 3 pullets (9 or 10 week olds) from the same farm that the original 3 came from. My question is: is it still necessary to quarantine the new chicks for 30 days?

As all chicks come from the same farm I'm hoping I might just be able to put the new chicks in a dog crate in the chicken coop with the older birds. What do you all think?

Thanks for your help with this....

Angela

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, I think it's necessary. It's not where they come from, but when you get them. A chicken who is not infected in March could be infected in June. So if you get a bird from a farm one month, then three months later, you go back to get more, a contagion could have run through their flock and any birds you get after that may have something that you bring home with that bird.

3. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    what about newly hatc hed chicks? we are getting some in less than a week and we already have an established flock of 31 and these chicks will only be with us; they were hatched at the pre-k class; I helped the best I could and they've only been there; then they will be here in a brooder set up away from the flock for at least 2 months...can I integrate then w/o quarantine?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Basically, if they are in a brooder for two months with no exposure to other birds, they are in quarantine already. Now, if one comes down with a respiratory infection and you put it in the flock anyway, that cancels out the benefit of quarantine.

5. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    Quote:Thanks; thats what I pretty much thought; but I needed to make sure as I didnt want to integrate incorrectly...
    once I do it a time or two I'll be old hat at it! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by