Is red feathers on Easter eggers really an indication of sex?

Sorry to have to say that that comb confirms it... you have a cockerel on your hands.
Disagree, unless I am missing something... Here are combs on 2 of my EEs that now each lay an egg a day. They look about the same at almost the same age as this pic (they were 5 or 6 weeks here)
PXL_20201031_212304509.MP.jpg
PXL_20201031_212227374.MP.jpg

Why the comb?
Typically the red on the shoulders is a good indicator, but since EE are a mix, sometimes the ladies can be reddish too, so you have to be careful. On your bird, that last pic with the clear shot of the comb shows a very wide comb, starting to redden, and very classic three rows of peas found on cockerels.

typically your birds are young to be sexed, but I feel that your bird is an obvious cockerel.

sorry I didn't respond over the weekend. I'm usually offline over the weekend.

Disagree, unless I am missing something... Here are combs on 2 of my EEs that now each lay an egg a day. They look about the same at almost the same age as this pic (they were 5 or 6 weeks here)View attachment 2724298View attachment 2724299
Those look like obvious pullets. Compair the comb on the blonde to the one in the last pic the OP posted... OP's bird has a very defined comb with very obvious three rows. I would have looked at your bird and sexed it female at this age.

Back
Top Bottom