Is salicylic acid safe for duck feet?

joesandy1822

Songster
11 Years
Apr 26, 2012
Just brainstorming. I’ve read every bumblefoot thread here and other sites, so yes, I am familiar with all the typically recommended treatments, sprays, ointments, antibiotics, and other techniques people are using to treat bumblefoot. But something came to my mind, and after trying to search for answers, I’m coming up with nothing.

There is a cream you can buy for us humans who suffer with dry, cracked callouses on our heels. I’ve used it, and it works. The main ingredient is salicylic acid, and it is called Kerasal. It basically is an exfoliant that helps callouses slough off overtime. I’m wondering if that would be safe to use on the bottom of a duck foot? I do not have an avian vet to call, and the regular vets around here are not helpful with poultry. If anybody knows, I would really appreciate a response.

There are so many ways to go about treating this thing, and it is definitely not a “one size fits all” thing. So many factors go into deciding which way to treat an individual case, and it does become a bit overwhelming sometimes.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 01DCF405-2D15-4801-9D7B-F301DA1C92E1.jpeg
    01DCF405-2D15-4801-9D7B-F301DA1C92E1.jpeg
    449.5 KB · Views: 19
Just brainstorming. I’ve read every bumblefoot thread here and other sites, so yes, I am familiar with all the typically recommended treatments, sprays, ointments, antibiotics, and other techniques people are using to treat bumblefoot. But something came to my mind, and after trying to search for answers, I’m coming up with nothing.

There is a cream you can buy for us humans who suffer with dry, cracked callouses on our heels. I’ve used it, and it works. The main ingredient is salicylic acid, and it is called Kerasal. It basically is an exfoliant that helps callouses slough off overtime. I’m wondering if that would be safe to use on the bottom of a duck foot? I do not have an avian vet to call, and the regular vets around here are not helpful with poultry. If anybody knows, I would really appreciate a response.

There are so many ways to go about treating this thing, and it is definitely not a “one size fits all” thing. So many factors go into deciding which way to treat an individual case, and it does become a bit overwhelming sometimes.

Thank you!
Salicylic acid is aspirin. Commonly used for acne treatments as a skin topical. I know you can give aspirin in water to the duck as pain relief, so I don't see why you can't use it topically too. Just make sure you are not double dosing with oral and topical, just to be safe. Aspirin is a blood thinner, so it will make wounds a bit less likely to clot at certain doses. I'd be interested to see how you do. Please let us know if you decide to go ahead with the topical and what your results are? Good luck :)

Salicylic acid is aspirin. Commonly used for acne treatments as a skin topical. I know you can give aspirin in water to the duck as pain relief, so I don't see why you can't use it topically too. Just make sure you are not double dosing with oral and topical, just to be safe. Aspirin is a blood thinner, so it will make wounds a bit less likely to clot at certain doses. I'd be interested to see how you do. Please let us know if you decide to go ahead with the topical and what your results are? Good luck :)
Thank you. That’s pretty much what I thought, but I wanted some reassurance since I’m kind of new to ducks. I will follow up if I decide to try it. What a pain in the booty this has been. I’m willing to try things that are unconventional in hopes of discovering a better way. I have all kinds of essential oils that may work too. Many are very effective against staph.

Back
Top Bottom