Is Sand a good option in Texas?

CheerfulF0x

Chirping
May 12, 2020
Central Texas
Does any of our Texas members use sand?
Has it worked for you with the heat?
Pros / Cons?

Added info: My girls will be in their run most of the time (except on weekends when I can let them out supervised) and the Run/Coop combo will be in the shadiest part of the yard, but also have a roof over all/most of the run.

I appreciate any opinion / advice / input you can provide.

Last edited:
My outdoor run has a 'sand' base; actually, the same coarse material as in my horse's turnout pen. The coop/run is situated underneath the 8' porch roof overhang of the barn, so remains mostly in the shade, except for a few early morning hours during the summer.

My girls free-range from 8 am to +/- 7 pm most of the year, but they will use the sand in the run to take dust baths.

Sand should be ok to use if most of it is in deep shade, not just a couple hours shade each day. I would not use playground sand or beach sand---too fine, IMHO.

Adding some info up in my original posting, but putting it here as well to help provide more insight.

My girls will be in their run most of the time (except on weekends when I can let them out supervised) and the Run/Coop combo will be in the shadiest part of the yard, but also have a roof over all/most of the run.

Sounds like a good start. Your chickens will obviously appreciate some daily sunshine, grass, groundcover, etc. so supervised excursions will be important. In the fall, once my girls are in for the evening, I collect a bucket full of dried leaves (mainly oak) and put in a small pile in the run--the girls love to peck and scratch in the leaves for 'stuff'! Good psychological stimulation!

I've never used sand, but I do use deep litter. I clean the run once a year to put on my garden. It never stinks, unless one of the chickens have let loose a "fresh" one. I use leaves, pine straw, pine shavings and garden leftovers. They love digging through it.

I've never used sand, but I do use deep litter. I clean the run once a year to put on my garden. It never stinks, unless one of the chickens have let loose a "fresh" one. I use leaves, pine straw, pine shavings and garden leftovers. They love digging through it.

I love the idea of the deep litter method.
I think there are many pros to using it and it is probably the most cost-friendly method to start with.
Where do you get your pine straw from?

Does any of our Texas members use sand?
Has it worked for you with the heat?
Pros / Cons?

Added info: My girls will be in their run most of the time (except on weekends when I can let them out supervised) and the Run/Coop combo will be in the shadiest part of the yard, but also have a roof over all/most of the run.

I appreciate any opinion / advice / input you can provide.
Hi Im from Texas and I am almost ready to move my chicks out of the brooder and into our new coop with attatched run. I plan on using sand in my run. Our friends also use sand and they really like it. They have had their setup for about 2 years now.

Back
Top Bottom