Is Screen Patio Wire strong enough?

carollwood

In the Brooder
Mar 15, 2018
Going to build a run and want to put it up against my screen patio wall because 1) it'll be less wiring to buy and 2) It will be one less side for predators to dig under. However, could an animal chew through it and get to the chickens? From touch, it seems sturdy but its not a tough metal like hardware wire. Main predators I fear are hawks and raccoons. What do you guys think? photo5046583068562925527.jpg photo5046583068562925526.jpg

Not sure what it is but if it is fiberglass or plastic, it isn't nearly strong enough.
Hardware cloth and expanded metal are both strong enough and with small enough openings to keep the smallest predators out.

Not sure what it is but if it is fiberglass or plastic, it isn't nearly strong enough.
Hardware cloth and expanded metal are both strong enough and with small enough openings to keep the smallest predators out.

What if I still used that wall but simply covered the screen part in hardware cloth? I'm not sure how I'd keep it up but I guess there has to be some solution..

Not sure you want your run right against your screen wall.
I'd put it at least 2-3 feet away, so you can maintain both the screen porch wall and the run wall with relative ease.

Not sure you want your run right against your screen wall.
I'd put it at least 2-3 feet away, so you can maintain both the screen porch wall and the run wall with relative ease.

Thats a good point; but what maintenance would I even need to do for my run wall?

Back
Top Bottom