Is she a he?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kataloo, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Kataloo

Kataloo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2014
    Utah
    I have 4 chickens, I thought all were hens, but I have an Easter Egger that has never laid an egg. They are about 7 months old. Is she actually a boy? If she is a girl is there anything I can do to help her start laying? Would feeding her some edamame beans help? What did I just read about tuna and peppers?
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    She's a sweet little pullet. If she was a boy, the comb would be a bright red, and would have been red for several months already. I think she's just a late bloomer.

Forget those herbal tricks. they really do not make any difference. One day very soon her comb will turn bright red and about a week or so after that, you'll see her first egg.

Has she shown any curiosity about the nest boxes? Has she spent any time lately "playing" in them? Usually, a few weeks prior to laying the first egg, a pullet will be drawn to the nest boxes and will spend time scratching around in them.

1 person likes this.
  3. Kataloo

Feb 4, 2014
    Utah
    Thanks, I will just be patient. I am hoping from some pretty eggs from her. Watch her lay white eggs.

4. JensChickies

JensChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    If it makes you feel better my langshan didn't start laying until she was 9 months old! I was starting to think she was never going to lay. Your little pullet looks awfully sweet, just hang in there. It will happen!

5. Kataloo

Feb 4, 2014
    Utah
    She is a pretty girl, but the most shy of the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by