Is she a purebred Pygmy?

bheila

Songster
11 Years
Feb 8, 2008
Kent, Wa
This is Pepper our Pygmy? we got 2 months ago. Do you think she's pure Pygmy? She's so much bigger then the other purebreds I've seen. She's about 55lbs and way taller. Sorry I don't know exactly how tall she is. Her neck is a lot longer and her head is big. She's 4 years old. To me she looks exactly like some of the pictures I've seen except her size. So what do ya'll think?
IMG00100.jpg

IMG00099.jpg

And before any of you tell me she needs a copper bolus, yes I know I already ordered some
wink.png

It looks like she may be a mix with what I am not sure maybe Nigi. She still has decent coloring and she is a bit tall. If she were a wether I wouldnt question it as much since they tend to have a bit more leg.

What is the copper for?? She looks healthy!

I would say mix. Maybe Nigi mix. She doesn't look short and coby at all like the purebreds do, and Pygmys usually have nice, long fur.

Yup, I'd guess she's a mix. However I have seen some NPGA herds that look a lot like her (you know, not ALL breeders manage to adhere to the breed standard). I love her head shape!

That sway back tells me she was copper deficient at birth, too. Be sure to have her UTD on the copper and BoSe before she kids if you've bred her to avoid it in her kids.

Quote:
I gave her some BoSe gel because I didn't have any injectable when we first got her but I plan on giving her some injectable when she's closer to kidding
wink.png

I have a mix that looks just like her. I also have some Nigi's that have the shorter neck. Not all nigis have the long necks...Some are short and wide build with shorter necks and some are long and lean with longer necks. Pretty girl you got there... Looks kinda like my Delilah...

Quote:
She was in with a herd of 20 other goats when we got her and not at the top of the pecking order. She had green snot coming out of her nose and green stuff coming out of her eyes. They also bred her in that condition so I'm slowly trying to get her into shape. She'll run like crazy for feed when I bring it out but she never eats all of it. At our house she's queen of the herd. I was actually thinking of getting rid of her because she was so rough with our other goats. Now she's really sweet.

Good for you, this girl needs your loving care, maybe worming, and food, food, food. Give her 6 months with your good care, and you probably won't recognize her.

Back
Top Bottom