Is she broody? Will she hatch 'em?- UPDATE

LocoPollo

Songster
Aug 13, 2008
Ellijay, GA
I ordered some eggs this week and they came yesterday and i have no place to hatch them. I had ordered them with another batch of BO eggs which came on Monday. I had ordered 10 BO eggs but 18 came! So I have no place in my incubator for these Blue andalusians that came yesterday. I was hoping that my one laying hen would go broody; she had 6 eggs yesterday afternoon, but didnt stay on the nest. So I just gave up, took her eggs and brought them home to eat.

This morning, she was on her nest again, and I thought she might be broody. She pecked at me when I tried to touch her. So I ran home, got all her eggs AND the blue andalusian eggs I had ordered, and went back to her this afternoon. Alas, she wasnt on her nest
sad.png
She had only laid another egg.

Exasperated, I just said, "to heck with it. I am putting all the eggs in the nest and if she hatches them, fine, if they rot and go boom, well it servers her right for not going broody on me. I hope they all explode right under her!" I put all the eggs in the nest ( there were like 15! I know, too many, but hey what the heck! ) and then I locked her alone in the run (8ft run with small coop for like three birds). She fussed to get out for about ten minutes, then fiinally worked her way up to the nest. She looked at it and looked at it, cocked her head a couple of times, then walked over into the nest, started clucking and cooing, and sat herself on top of them!

So do yall think I have a chance that maybe she might decide to hatch the eggs?? what do yall think?

Last edited:
Quote:
It doesn't sound like too many eggs at all to me. Both of my young hens have ONLY wanted to set when they had 17 eggs under them.......yes 17.

I would keep her in there, give her a little time to go broody with the addition of those eggs. You might be surprised! I know I was!!!

good_luck_graphics_6.gif

I wasn't sure if she could hatch that many because I didnt think she could cover them all with her body. I guess they figure out a way!

Last edited:
Yay! Today my hen is dutifully parked on her nest of eggs with that "I'm in this for the long haul" look on her face! Looks like my first attempt at inducing broodiness is a success! Now if only the eggs hatch! lol

Back
Top Bottom