1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is she broody?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickalator, Dec 18, 2008.

1. chickalator

chickalator Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2008
    Senoia Georgia
    i have a bo hen. when i went to check on the chickens , she was tucked into the nestbox. i figured she was just laying, weel i went out there about 2 hours later and she was still sitting there, when i came towards her, she growled at me and tried to peck me. ive been in the coop working and all of the sudden one will hop into the box, sit there for about a minute and then get off when i look there will be a nd egg. in there, but ts never taken two hours before. is she broody?

2. peeboo

peeboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    fort bragg nc
    it's possible. sometimes my hens sit in the nest for a while before they lay and some just lay and get up and go. i know i've only had one broody hen so far out of 11 and it's my silkie. she would sit in the nest, what seemed to be all day and all night. only getting up to get a drink of grab a bit of food. never off the nest for more than a few minutes. it lasted for weeks at a time sometimes. dunno if that helps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by