Is she egg bound? Help?

Acvvia

In the Brooder
May 1, 2022
I’ll be quick, it was this morning the other day she was doing perfect, she is a cream legbar 9 months old. She can’t walk but can muster up a limp. Her feet are very pale, but comb and face is nice and red. She is eating normally when I get food close to her but isn’t drinking water, I felt her abdomen but I can’t tell if I’m feeling her gizzard or an egg. We are treating her with some egg shells and epsom salt baths. Am I doing well? And is she egg bound or something else?

Last edited:
What was she doing that makes you think she might be eggbound?
Well she’s not walking and her feet are pale but that is as much as symptoms go for being egg bound, I couldn’t really feel anything where her oviduct might be. If she’s not egg bound then what could be wrong?

Is it cold where you are? My first thought is that it may be cold damage of some sort. Does she have any visible injuries on her feet? Swelling?

A picture of her might be helpful. Can you insert a clean finger into her vet about two inches to feel for an egg? Human calcium with vitamin D 3 tablet or Tums can be given orally right into the beak if you think she is egg bound. Is her tail up or down?

My chicken had layer the egg but she still is lame, her tail still drops. we have upgraded the chicken coop for the drop in temperatures. She has also pooped. Her feet have no sign of swelling or damage. I will have to see how her condition is tomorrow and will add pictures. Thank you for the help so far ^_^ (She’s inside my home for better recovery)

I'm glad she was able to lay the egg. If she's still having a bit of trouble walking but there's no damage to her feet, it may just be that she's a bit swollen and uncomfortable still or maybe something got pinched.

If that's the case, it might take her a little bit to feel completely like herself again - I had one who did manage to lay the egg on her own but it had gotten a bit stuck, and she didn't really want to move much until the following morning but made a full recovery.

Here are some pictures of her. She's been eating and drinking but just hasn't been walking too well. I also started noticing something that reminds me of chicken gleet. So I've been adding a bit of apple cider vinegar into her water. Any other advice?

Attachments

• 20221114_164025.jpg
    20221114_164025.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 8
  • 20221114_164018.jpg
    20221114_164018.jpg
    433 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom