Is she ever going to lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by staceyl, Sep 28, 2009.

1. staceyl

staceyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    I have 3 26 week old girls. My BR and my BO have been laying reliably for weeks, but nothing from my EE.
    I just figured I'd complain and maybe I'd find something today. Her comb is getting pretty red.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:This time of year it could be molt, darker days or she's just a little slower.
    My EE is very erratic laying, every day for a week or two, then nothing for weeks.

Good luck finding something today

Imp

3. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    We had one EE start at 18 weeks, but she's a big girl. In fact, she's so big we were convinced she was a he straight up to the first egg. Our other EE is the same age as yours and is nowhere near ready. I've heard some people on here say it can take up to 9 months for some EEs. Personally, at the rate she's going it's probably going to be longer.

I feel your pain! [​IMG]

4. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    If her comb is getting noticably redder, you'll probably get eggs in the next couple of weeks. They all mature at different rates, though, so I wouldn't worry about it.

5. missfitch

missfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Marysville Ohio
    Hi, I have a simular problem, I have 32 week old black bantam cochins and one laid for about a week, the other 3 never started and now.... no eggs for the past two weeks. I think my chickens figure out they are pets and we keep them regardless and so they are slackers. LOL
    I have 8 chickens and still I have to buy eggs from the neighbors!
    Good thing they are cute!!!

6. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    My EEs are 26weeks old and they are not red in the face or acting like they are interested in the roo--he pays them no attention! Haven't gotten one egg and the Ameraucanas are 30weeks old no eggs from them either...

7. randomchick

randomchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Prescott, Ontario
    I had one hen hang on 37 weeks. Then she decided to start laying at negative 30 weather.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by