Is she getting close???

Wild_Flower

Songster
Jun 3, 2021
I got this little d’Uccle pullet in early August and was told that most of the other pullets in her pen were laying. There wasn’t much clarity as far as exact age but we were told about 5-6 months old 😕. Anyhoo, in the last couple of weeks I’ve noticed Clementine’s comb has changed from a fleshy pink to almost full blown red and she does the most adorable squat with wings out when I go to pick her up. Is it possible my girl may be getting close to laying her first egg??
**Not the best photo as there is a ladder in the way, she’s a little skittish when it comes to being photographed so I have to go into National Geographic photography mode and sneak pics lol**

Attachments

• 20006185-AC4C-448C-9A89-3479B55786AE.jpeg
    20006185-AC4C-448C-9A89-3479B55786AE.jpeg
    175.4 KB · Views: 18
The comb getting red and the squatting are good signs that she will be laying soon. I also like to do a check on the pelvic bones. If there are at least 2 finger widths between the bones there is enough room for an egg to come through.

Yup. Squatting and red comb are good indicators. Also, if she has been 'chickenwauling' lately, that means she's probably really close (most of my girls chickenwaul as they are about to lay an egg - that more sing-songy, long complainy kind of call - fa-fa-faaaaaaaaaa-fafafafa!!!! sound. Sorry. Someday I'll upload a video clip of my girls doing this ;)). They get more vocal with this call and get kinda antsy near the nesting box when that egg is ready to come out.

She did it y’all!!! As you can see, the egg had a bit of blood on it which freaked me out at first but I was told that it’s normal. I’m gonna be a nerd and try and save this one and maybe put it in a little shadow box. 😄

Attachments

• 6A68E0CF-6C2C-4131-B88C-393DE7090470.jpeg
    6A68E0CF-6C2C-4131-B88C-393DE7090470.jpeg
    296.4 KB · Views: 10
Yup. Squatting and red comb are good indicators. Also, if she has been 'chickenwauling' lately, that means she's probably really close (most of my girls chickenwaul as they are about to lay an egg - that more sing-songy, long complainy kind of call - fa-fa-faaaaaaaaaa-fafafafa!!!! sound. Sorry. Someday I'll upload a video clip of my girls doing this ;)). They get more vocal with this call and get kinda antsy near the nesting box when that egg is ready to come out.
I actually am getting to witness this right now! I was coming out to check on them and I noticed her acting a bit antsy…flying up onto the ladder, going to the entrance of the coop, almost going in but then flying back down again. Then I heard a new call, which kind of reminded me of how you described it. She finally went in the coop and hasn’t come out yet so I’m sitting here waiting hoping to hear the “egg song”. I’m missed it the other day but found an egg so it was still eggciting 😄

She did it y’all!!! As you can see, the egg had a bit of blood on it which freaked me out at first but I was told that it’s normal. I’m gonna be a nerd and try and save this one and maybe put it in a little shadow box. 😄
I have heard that some people blow out that first egg, decorate it, and hang it on their Christmas tree as an ornament. That way you get to eat it and keep it.

Back
Top Bottom