Is she going to lay?

aropp87

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 27, 2014
My ladies are 21 weeks. My two ducks have been laying for 2 weeks, but nothing from my hens yet. I put some ceramic eggs in the boxes and within 5 minutes heard my egg laying song! Ran out, nothing:/ but my amerucana is getting on about something, just not sure what. I've never had one talk to me like this! Any thoughts? Is she unhappy about the ceramic eggs?

Both are very close to laying. And she's an Easter Egger, not Ameraucana. The behavior is very normal for point of lay pullets. The best way to describe point of lay girls is erratic. It's all very new for them, and chickens are not the biggest fans of change. Once they get used to laying, they will settle down a lot.

Yep! Layer feed, oyster shells, plenty of water. Clean boxes, clean coop. She's out there singing her egg song now again, but isn't laying.

Ah! I suspected EE, I didn't think the feed store had true ones. What makes it so easier to tell? She is DEFINIETLY acting erratic. She's picking up the duck down and tossing it in the air and running in and out. Maybe it'll be just a few more days.

She's not one of the standard Ameraucana color/varieties. She needs to lay, but she doesn't realize it. Keep in mind, she's never done this before. She has no idea what is happening to her body. Imagine being pregnant, but not knowing it, and the suddenly go into labor. You would be freaking out a bit, too.

I guess she just needed a few more minutes:)

Back
Top Bottom