Is she in pain, should I just put her down now.

Well it's the bulging bone on her chest, the lack of eating and the lack of energy. She pretty much just stands there most the day. I'm worried that she might be in pain, or might not make it cause of lack of eating and drinking. If that's the case, I just want to put her out of her misery.

Hopefully, the avian vet will be able to help you. When I try to get my chickens to eat, I mix up some yogurt and raw egg, and even some leftover meat chopped pretty fine, and stir it all up into a thin paste. They will lick the bowl clean--I just gave some broodies that today to fatten up a couple of the scrawny ones. Good luck with your hen tomorrow and keep us posted.

Vet said keel bone is broken. It's the bone equivalent to the human sternum. She is in pain, but will probably make it as long as she is eating some and drinking. They talked me into pain medication for her. So she will continue on.

Yeah I am, I just really hope she starts eating and drinking more. It concerns me the amount of food shes eating.
The vet asked to see her again in 10 to 14 days. I think I'll pass unless she seems the same. If shes any better though I am going to let it go. 42 bucks for an exam today! Thats CRAZY!

UPDATE: My hen is doing really well. She is now eating regularly on her own without egg yolks or graham crackers to coax her along. She is drinking more, but still not as much as if she we're 100% healthy. She hates the pain medication but we are leaving for vacation on Saturday and I'm not going to make my parents give it to her while we are gone for the week, so hopefully she'll be okay without it. The cuts on her head are scabbed over, still waiting for feathers to grow up there before putting her back with the flock. I don't want them to pick on her. She is still a little slow, but much faster and much more feisty than what she once was. I see improvements everyday. I will update you all again when we get back from vacation, or when she makes it back in the flock.

clap.gif
So happy!!

Back
Top Bottom