Is she in pain, should I just put her down now.

Awesome! Thanks for the info. The bulging bone still concerns me a bit. Since she isn't being noisy or constantly closing her eyes, I think if she is in pain it's not major. My dog came in the basement today (where I am keeping her) and she ran out the door into the fence and down to the chicken coop. Her run was a little funky but she was trying her best, so I'm thinking it might be alright to keep her alive.

My vet only cares for goats, horses, and sheep, so the closest one I know of is about an hour drive. I called a few vets in the area tonight and left voice mails just to see if they'll look at a bird, and if they do I'm going to have the bulging bone looked at, maybe if the air pocket is there after work tomorrow I'll pop it and see if the bone is even bulging anymore. \

Thanks again eggcessive.

If the air pocket isn't expanding, I would go the conservative way and let it absorb on it's own. There is less chance of introducing infection through the skin or piercing a vital organ. I am and RN and have many years of experience with needles, but I would leave it unless she was in respiratory distress. I know of a lady whose chicken blew up like a balloon all over from this, and it might have helped to save her bird, but he died quickly. I'm glad the hen is hanging in there.

UPDATE: The hen laid an egg today. It was cracked open (not sure if it was her or if it came out that way. I put the yoke in the feed and she went buck wild over it. As soon as I opened the basement door she tried running outside again. So she is feeling better. Still not 100% certian if shes drinking water though. The water feeder doesn't look any less than what I put in.

I left her in the basement cause the others pick at the wound on her head, so I'll wait till that heals up or till I get to the store to get that stuff to keep the other chickens from pecking at her.

I found a vet within a few mins of my house, and they said they would take a look at her tomorrow evening.

Good! So glad she's doing better.
thumbsup.gif

UPDATE: The air pocket has gone down some, and I saw her drink a bunch of water today. I'm thinking the bulging bone isn't allowing her to put her neck down. After work I left her outside, she walked about 15 yards and laid down with her head facing the ground. When I walked up to her, she stood up and ran another 15 yards or so to a water bucket outside. It's a 2 gallon bucket so it's pretty tall. She walked up to it and drank away. Her dish in the basement is just a small butter dish. So I put the bucket in the basement where she is staying and gave the outside chickens a new bucket.

She drank some water, walked into the coop and just stood there for about 10 mins. I chased her outside and she just stood outside for another 30 mins at the same general area, so I put her back inside the basement. It seems like she wants out but doesn't know what to do when shes out. Maybe its a lack of energy or maybe some brain damage.

I will post an update tomorrow evening after the visit to the vet and see if the vet thinks. If the bone won't heal, and is causing her pain, I think I'll make chicken dinner this weekend, if the vet thinks she can live somewhat of a decent life with the bulging bone, we'll let her go.

UPDATE: but not really. I went to the scheduled vet appointment today only so they could tell me sorry, the bird vet is only here Wednesday and Fridays. I have a new apt for tomorrow at 10am, but I work, so if I can get someone to take her she will make the visit tomorrow if not, I guess we'll see.

My vet's office will let me bring in a dog or cat and leave them to be seen by the vet if I can't be there at the time. Maybe you could write down everything and leave her there in a cage during the day for the avian vet. He or she could always call you if they have questions or need to talk to you. Then you could pick her up after work.

I wish I would have thought about that. I guess, I am just going to leave work for the appointment and accept the reprimand. I rarely call in sick and if I do I always have sick days available for use. This one time won't hurt my job security at all.

At this point do you think that the avian vet can do anything for her? She must be doing okay to have made it this far. It takes time for them to heal up after a major injury, but chickens can be pretty tough.

Back
Top Bottom