Is she lonely? Broody?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by erthymom2, Jun 28, 2010.

1. erthymom2

erthymom2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    I have a 5 month old Tolouse goose named "Gus" (we thought she was a he until she started getting the poofy pouch under her belly between her legs) who just yesterday started craving more attention and people-time. She doesn't appear sickly and takes feed and water w/no problem.
    Gus never comes up the people steps before yesterday - now she comes up, down and hangs out at the screen door wanting to come in. She loves to be hugged and sung to, and today was setting on an old dog bed by the back poarch door. She's not always up on the porch - she'll go wander and eat with the rest of the gang (chickens & ducks - she's the only goose) but sometimes justs wants to be by herself I guess.
    I'm new this year to geese and have no clue what this new behaviour means?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  2. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Well gus is a young adult now and its instincts are telling it that it should be looking for a mate! If it was imprinted on humans after hatch s/he may be looking for a human mate! At best it is lonely at worst.....If it is a female (and it sounds like she is) she may lay eggs in that old dog bed and go broody on eggs that will never hatch....How sad can it get? This is one of the reasons I always recommend at least two geese. Sometimes they will accept other poultry as companions, gus has choosen you. I wish I had a good solution, but I just don't know of one....

3. erthymom2

May 23, 2008
    I have a chance to get some goslings this weekend from
    a nieghbor friend, they are african greys and were hatched on sunday.
    I was going to get 2-3 and see if Gus would gradually accept them.
    they will be separated by screening while in the brooder so Gus can see and talk to the baby's,
    and supervisoed at arms length by me when the little ones get outside time around Gus.
    Should I get Gus a gander -boyfriend?
    is it too late for her to be a couple with
    a gander so she's not so lonely?
    I'd like her to feel better and happier.

4. sheep

sheep Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2009
    Quote:She might not know she's a goose.. did you hatch her, or was she hatched and imprinted by another human?

5. adrian

adrian Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Regina, SK
    A pouch on the belly does not mean the goose is female. They are called lobes - there are usually two in larger breeds, sometimes one in smaller, and wild geese do not have them. However, both genders get them.

6. erthymom2

May 23, 2008
    Quote:She might not know she's a goose.. did you hatch her, or was she hatched and imprinted by another human?

I incubated a few goose eggs together. two hatched but the other gosling did not thrive and died w/in days of hatching out. that left Gus, whom i brooded with some cochin chicks that hatched at the same time. I was the only adult Gus had while she was hatching and growing in the brooder and then outside.

7. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    When my Bella is in laying mode, she acts just like that.

She lets me pick her up and she preens my hair and follows me around.

When she is off season, I can give her treats, but she doesn't want to be touched. [​IMG]

8. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    That's funny, when my goose was laying and broody she didn't like me at all [​IMG] She is back to "kissing" me when I hold her now instead of paddling and screaming.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by