Is she ok?...

BirdsInParadise

Songster
May 9, 2016
Howdy!
I have two 4 weakish old Marans (girls I was told upon purchase). They have been spending the last week in the run for the daytime and then I bring them in to their brooder at night.
All has been well.
Well, tonight I brought them in and one of them has been writhing around trying to bury herself in her bedding while scratching the bottom constantly. It looks SPOOKY!
The other has taken to kicking as much bedding into the food and water dish as she can.
Is this "normal" behavior?
Im kinda worried about the writhing one. Im guessing the other is just expressing her dissatisfaction with her accomadations.

Any thoughts/ideas/concerns?

Thanks for any and all replies...

I genuinely thought my chicken was having a stroke the first time I ever saw one take a dust bath. It's a spooky sight for sure!!
My poor husband thought there had been a chicken massacre the first time he came upon a group sun/dust bath.....I had grown up with chickens, that was his first time, lol

Also...
The chicks have spent some time with my adult Silkie and all seemed fine aside from some light pecking.
Since the chicks have gone into the run they are separated from the Silkie but can still see her through some netting.
The past two nights I've gone to bring the chicks in my Silkie goes berserk and throws a fit.
She squaks and flaps her wings crazily.

Again, would that be considered "normal"?
Thanks For all the help everyone!

For a silkie, odd behavior is normal behavior with them. Crested birds are prone to moments of hysteria, I assume because they can't see well.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.
Just one more little thing...
Im going camping for a few days and was wondering if my Marans are still too young to hang full time with my adult Silkie or if I should keep them seperated in the run. I have a friend who will be stopping by to give water and food to all the ladies but I'd rather not ask her to have to climb in my run to put the Marans back in their brooder (and all that goes along with it).
I live in Southern California and the weather is low to mid 80s generally in the day and around mid 60s AT LEAST at night.
The forecast calls for a bit warmer while i'll be gone.
Is this a bad/good/crazy idea?
PS...
The birds seem to do fine with each other so far.

Thanks for any and all replies...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom