Is she pregnant?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by into_my_web, Nov 4, 2009.

1. into_my_web

into_my_web Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Newfoundland
    I discovered my bunny in a small corner with clumps of her fur all around her and she has been digging and scratching at the floor a lot lately, I read these were signs of pregnancy. If she is pregnant how far along do you suppose she is?
    Also, must I seperate her from the other bunnies??
    Thankyou!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  2. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    I think some important questions would be :

1. When was she with a buck? [​IMG]

Did you just recently get her?

3. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

If you think that she may be you definitely should separate her the others will try to kill the babies. Thats a sure sign of them goin to have babies. Some rabbits make a nest a week before some wait until a few days before. Good luck!!

I've also had one to do that after we weaned her babies and took them from her, but to be safe I'd try and separate her for a few weeks to see

4. First of all, has she been around a buck?

Rabbits do pull wool or fur from themselves to line their nest with for their kits. Fur pulling is usually the last step in nest building and usually done within 24 hours of delivery.

My suggestion to you would be to immediately give her a nestbox of some type, if she has the kits on the wire of the cage they will die from exposure.
    A mini kitty litter box will work, or a shallow gladwear or tupperwear that is a little bigger than her. If nothing else, a shoebox will do in a pinch but keep an eye on it as she may shred the bottom, thus putting the kits on the floor of the cage.

She also NEEDS hay right now for nest building so if you don't have any, buy some and if you do have some, give her a buch extra.

5. into_my_web

Jun 20, 2009
    Newfoundland
    Quote:Well I dont have the males and females seperated so it could have been any time.
    No, I got her over the Summer.

6. YES, seperate her from the other rabbits.

*ETA* OK, you have your bucks and does housed together yet you are suprised that one is pregnant? Have you not ever heard the saying "Multipling like rabbits"?!?! [​IMG]
    You need to house them seperatly. Rarely do "colony" type situations work. Rabbits are pretty territorial. Put each doe and buck in their own cage after this.

7. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:[​IMG] Maybe you should separate them.

8. into_my_web

Jun 20, 2009
    Newfoundland
    Quote:[​IMG] Maybe you should separate them.

I am planning on neutering my two males this week so I wont need to seperate them.

9. Quote:[​IMG] Maybe you should separate them.

Yes. And you should also do some reading after this if you plan to seriously breed rabbits. Stroreys Guild To Raising Rabbits is a good place to start. Please do some research on breeding and raising before you bring more rabbits into the world. Knowing that fur pulling is a sure sign of imprending delivery is not rocket science and most people who have rabbits learn that pretty quickly on in their learning and research phase.
    This is all I am going to say that is negative on this subject. Just an FYI. From here on out I will do my best to give you good advice and hold my tounge.

10. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    You need to separate because the other rabbits could easily kill the babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by