Is she ready to leave her chicks? advice please

I would never take babies away from their mom until she fully rejects them. It is VERY obvious when this happens! Why can’t she stay with her babies until she feels like she has given them all of the training they need?
I don't know what obvious means! Today it seemed pretty obvious.

I don't know what obvious means! Today it seemed pretty obvious.
I’m sorry, I should have explained! She will start pecking them just as harshly as if you stuck the babies in with an adult chicken that never saw them before. It is pretty brutal and a bit sad! It appears to be an instant switch that is flipped from gently clucking them everywhere, to walking away from them and joining the other chickens. They instantly want absolutely nothing to do with them.

I'm going to put all three in with the Silkies.
For me, the best part of having the mama raise them is that she integrates them in with all of the others. Mine start free ranging with the rest of the flock when they are a few days old. That way mama is with her sisters, and all of the sisters get to know the babies ahead of time. I know your situation is different though.

I’m sorry, I should have explained! She will start pecking them just as harshly as if you stuck the babies in with an adult chicken that never saw them before. It is pretty brutal and a bit sad! It appears to be an instant switch that is flipped from gently clucking them everywhere, to walking away from them and joining the other chickens. They instantly want absolutely nothing to do with them.
Oh. I see. Sorry if I sounded rude I have had a rough day. I have heard the, squaeking in a way that sounds like they have been pecked but she probably just stepped on the, again.

For me, the best part of having the mama raise them is that she integrates them in with all of the others. Mine start free ranging with the rest of the flock when they are a few days old. That way mama is with her sisters, and all of the sisters get to know the babies ahead of time. I know your situation is different though.
The thing is that I don't trust my Lohmann browns with baby chicks. They are brutally mean. Like today I tried to put the baby's in with Kathy and her sisters and I'm of them latched on to kiwi and would not let go(I got her off) and pecked nezzy Kathy did nothing. And they were being pretty mean to Kathy when I briefly put her in. I wish I could let my chickens free-range. But our dogs have a high pray drive

Back
Top Bottom