Is she ready to leave her chicks? advice please

Jul 4, 2021
So I have a Lohmann brown hen that went broody in March and hatched two silkie eggs on the 16th of April. The chicks are still chirping and are still quite small. So we went on holiday a few weeks ago and we came back yesterday and when I went to check on them to see if they were okay and when I put my hand in to touch Kathy she squatted, I thought this was weird behaviour for a broody hen and today I through some treats in for them and she did not really cluck and call them over and today I just noticed a egg in their sleepy area she is the only hen in there. I'm not sure what to do . I'll check tonight if she sit on them. Thank you.

Edit:
So I just quickly throw some more food in and she did make little clucking noises while she ate. It's more the egg. Do hens lay eggs while having chick . I thought they only laid again after they have moved on from their chicks.

Some hens will continue to mother even as they return to lay - others will not. She'll let you know which she is.
Are there signs that I should look out for? Whenever I come near her coop she always seems very eager to come to me and get out. She tried to claim out yesterday

I'd give her and the chicks access to the flock. Hopefully she will still want to protect them during reintegration.
The thing is that they are going to go to different coops. The silkie are going in with the Silkies and she going back with her sisters. I don't think she would be able to look after them. My lohmann browns can be very mean. I'm actually a bit worry about integrating her back In with them.

Are there signs that I should look out for? Whenever I come near her coop she always seems very eager to come to me and get out. She tried to claim out yesterday
My new momma with 4 day old chicks tried to climb out of her "mini coop run" every time she sees us. I let her out yesterday to see how everyone does and there were no issues. They have been visible to the flock for the entire time and Nali is a fierce protector when they get to close.

Even if they will eventually go to different coops, you could keep them together for a bit longer is momma wants her flock. Just integrate like normal as long as they have been visible and known to the flock.

My new momma with 4 day old chicks tried to climb out of her "mini coop run" every time she sees us. I let her out yesterday to see how everyone does and there were no issues. They have been visible to the flock for the entire time and Nali is a fierce protector when they get to close.

Even if they will eventually go to different coops, you could keep them together for a bit longer is momma wants her flock. Just integrate like normal as long as they have been visible and known to the flock.
The chicks have seen the baby's from day one. And my other flock can usually see them.

I put Kathy back in with her sisters. She was trying over and over again to get out and I was worried she was going to hurt herself. Kathy's sisters seem to remember her and she has had no trouble. She has not even noticed that her babies are not there and she seems fine. She just went around scratching.

Back
Top Bottom