Is she really a cuckoo marans?

littlecreekfarm

Crowing
11 Years
Jun 1, 2011
Virginia
Ok so I've had this hen for about a year and I still don't know what breed she is.....I bought her as a cuckoo marans but we noticed she was the only one with yellow legs and that is not the marans standard. She also has some golden cuckoo on her neck and has a single comb and lays a golden/brown egg and has gone broody a few times. Any ideas on what she might be???

Here is a picture of her(sorry she looks funny she was wet
tongue.png
)
94270_p1110654.jpg

and her head(notice the golden cuckoo on her neck)
94270_p1110655.jpg

and her egg
94270_p1110656.jpg

Thanks,

LCF

I'm not quite sure.....her legs look to be yellow, and I think they should be white....And she looks awfully dark for a cuckoo, but maybe it's because she's wet. The egg isn't dark......

And I don't like being negative because she's a good lookin' hen! Could you post a pic when she's dry? Maybe her feathers will be lighter?

Sharon

Honestly with the yellow legs and the light colored egg I would say she's a barred rock. She may just have some gold leakage around the neck area?? Is she were a true marans i would expect her egg to be darker. jmo.
hmm.png

I bought a Cuckoo Maran in antisipation of a nice dark chocolate egg. She looked like a Barred Rock but her legs are a slate grey. She lays a light brown egg. Really disappointing. I talked to a farmer who said that they have brought in all kinds of Marans to their farm in Ontario and apparently the Marans in North American do not lay dark eggs...they lay one dark egg and then start to lighten up....has anyone hear of this before.

Quote:
Nope, my marans lay nice dark eggs, even my bantams and we are in North America. The only time they start to lighten is when a hen comes to the end of a laying cycle other than that they are a nice dark egg everyday!
big_smile.png

49849_gedc0258.jpg

This is a very interesting bird. Not a Barred Rock (she's not barred), not a Cuckoo Marans. Perhaps a cross of the two.

Quote:
That's what I began to think after I couldn't figure out what she was......she was a hatchery bird so maybe she is a mix between the two
smile.png

Thanks everyone for your replies
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom