Is SHE really a HE?

Shared Acres

Songster
11 Years
Aug 10, 2008
Northeast Fla
We picked up two BOs from a swap meet and thought they might be girls. (NEVER had anything other than silkies before this.)

They are supposed to be about 5 months old. Had them since Sat, haven't heard a crow out of them, no eggs either.

HOWEVER, this morning, one has decided to play rooster and is mating with my silkie! Does the rooster dance and everything.

I sat and watched for about 30 minutes at 7am this morning and the neighbor's rooster was crowing but these guys didn't. One did make a short bark sound at one point. And the same one that "mated" also seemed to be looking for the neighbor rooster at one point.

This isn't the one who mated, but this one apparantally likes the camera more and they look nearly identical:

Nov2308Orps3139LRCW.jpg

Nov2308Orps3133LRCW.jpg

I know it's common in a flock of hens for one to act roosterly, but roosterly to the point of mating?

Do you have a picture of the whole chicken? I like to look for sickle feathers to be sure. The 2nd pic looks like a hen to me. The behavior definately sounds rooish. Sorry, I'm not much help!

I called my mom and told her, "I have good news and bad news."

Her reply, "what are my chickens dead?"

"Nope, your hens are roosters. But the good news is they are VERY sweet roosters."

She let out an explecitive and laughed and asked if they might just be lesbians. LOL.

Maybe that's wishful thinking on her part, I mean, then she'd still get eggs but not have to deal with any crowing! LOL

Back
Top Bottom