Is SHE really a HE?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Shared Acres, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    We picked up two BOs from a swap meet and thought they might be girls. (NEVER had anything other than silkies before this.)

They are supposed to be about 5 months old. Had them since Sat, haven't heard a crow out of them, no eggs either.

HOWEVER, this morning, one has decided to play rooster and is mating with my silkie! Does the rooster dance and everything.

I sat and watched for about 30 minutes at 7am this morning and the neighbor's rooster was crowing but these guys didn't. One did make a short bark sound at one point. And the same one that "mated" also seemed to be looking for the neighbor rooster at one point.

This isn't the one who mated, but this one apparantally likes the camera more and they look nearly identical:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know it's common in a flock of hens for one to act roosterly, but roosterly to the point of mating?

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Do you have a picture of the whole chicken? I like to look for sickle feathers to be sure. The 2nd pic looks like a hen to me. The behavior definately sounds rooish. Sorry, I'm not much help!

3. Shared Acres

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    [​IMG]

I'm about to go outside and take a closer pic of the Roosterly one!

4. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Its a rooster.

5. Shared Acres

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    That would be why they were free and they lady couldn't have them, lol!

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I agree, a big boy.

7. RooptyDoo

RooptyDoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Illinois
    I agree, looks like a boy

8. Shared Acres

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I called my mom and told her, "I have good news and bad news."

Her reply, "what are my chickens dead?"

"Nope, your hens are roosters. But the good news is they are VERY sweet roosters."

She let out an explecitive and laughed and asked if they might just be lesbians. LOL.

Maybe that's wishful thinking on her part, I mean, then she'd still get eggs but not have to deal with any crowing! LOL

9. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    Pretty boy [​IMG]

10. Shared Acres

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Yep. They started crowing today and we managed to put two hens with them and they are seriously getting molested. My silkie seems greatful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by