Silkie Hen or Roo

Virgie87

In the Brooder
Nov 24, 2022
Alright guys, to say I’m baffled is an understatement. Back in June, I adopted 2 silkie chickens, since the one I already had lost her friend and I didn’t want her to be alone. One started crowing almost immediately, so he went to go live at a local animal sanctuary. I thought everything was fine and dandy, but this morning, I caught the remaining silkie mounting my original one. They are about 8-10 months old, no crowing at all, and there’s been no obvious indication that they’re a roo. I know that the dominant hen can sometimes take the role of a rooster, but I’d like to be sure. As long as they don’t start crowing I’d be happy to keep them if they turn out to be a he, but my town doesn’t allow roosters and I’d rather not be an inconvenience to my neighbors. What do you all think?
IMG_0480.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0482.jpeg
    IMG_0482.jpeg
    491.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0484.jpeg
    IMG_0484.jpeg
    516.5 KB · Views: 19
Alright guys, to say I’m baffled is an understatement. Back in June, I adopted 2 silkie chickens, since the one I already had lost her friend and I didn’t want her to be alone. One started crowing almost immediately, so he went to go live at a local animal sanctuary. I thought everything was fine and dandy, but this morning, I caught the remaining silkie mounting my original one. They are about 8-10 months old, no crowing at all, and there’s been no obvious indication that they’re a roo. I know that the dominant hen can sometimes take the role of a rooster, but I’d like to be sure. As long as they don’t start crowing I’d be happy to keep them if they turn out to be a he, but my town doesn’t allow roosters and I’d rather not be an inconvenience to my neighbors. What do you all think?View attachment 3675282
Looks like a roo to me. The tail feathers are super sharp and the comb is bigger than what me hen's was.

Back
Top Bottom