is she show quaility

I would just make sure The participant is commited and will show again before investing in SQ birds.

Very VERY good advise! I just spent money on some silkies for my 4 yr old getting him ready to start 4-H IF I FIND OUT WHERE TO GET STARTED LOL and I figure IF he doesn't enjoy this I will enjoy the silkies! At least the expense of the birds doesn't go to waste. I can always sell eggs from them if he doesn't enjoy it.​

Sonoran Silkies

Some people don't know that the Hatchery RIRs aren't real RIRs and we are lucky to get some nice judges at our fair that will explain to the kids the difference in the Production Red and a RIR..
I never took 4-H as a kid but my wife did and our kids will be in 4-H soon. I beleve the it is a good thing for kids to do/take...

Chris

Last edited:
i am sooo excited to hatch these. My nephew will pick one and work with that chick! hope he doesn't bail like he did with his duck...lol

Well kids will do that... lol

Most of the time all it takes is getting them to the fair and them showing something that they raised from day one and there hooked...

Chris

OP I wasn't trying to be snarky or anything I was remarking that too many people living here in RI don't know what a proper RIR should look like and if you're in the 4-H or showing circuit that is downright SAD to not know your own state bird
hmm.png

The hen in the picture actually looks to be an large old english game hen of a poor wheaton color pattern. I cannot tell but her comb looks to be a pea comb which would indicate some game fowl breeding as well.
There are good Rhode Island Red breeders out there in both bantams and large fowl. The RIR should be very dark mohogany red similar to the posting on the first page of this thread by Brad.
They should have a long, level body which is square in shape making them look like a red brick with a head, feet and tail.
If you are interested in some good RIR's PM me and I'll give you a few names of people to contact. If your nephew is not interested in them they will still make a beautiful addition to your flock and you will know what you have.

Best regards,

Bo Garrett

Back
Top Bottom