Is she sick?

AnonPaperclip

Songster
5 Years
Apr 11, 2017
One of my Welsummers recently developed bumps on her face and (what looks like) dry skin on her comb.
20181107_154131.jpg
20181107_154213.jpg

It looks terrible, but she doesn't seem to be in any pain. She's still walking around and doing her chicken things with everyone else like usual. The other chickens don't have this problem, though. What is it, and what can I do about it?

Favus looks like white powder and can be crusty. It looks like dried skin peeling in a close up pic, and yet it looks like favus. I'd go ahead and treat her with miconazole cream until it goes away. Wear disposable plastic gloves when applying the miconazole, it's contagious. Tolnaftate, the active ingredient in Tinactin might work also.

So it might be favus? I'm not sure what the early stages of it look like, just that they'll get white and crusty around their face and feather follicles... Would an immune supplement help?
I would follow @dawg53 ’s direction to treat it with a topical antifungal rather than to try alternative therapy.
Immune boosting with a healthy well balanced feed and fresh water daily is fine but Fungal infections are tricky whether on an animal or human.

They can spin out of control quickly, make them feel miserable, but more importantly, can make them vulnerable to a secondary infection -such as staph.

Favus looks like white powder and can be crusty. It looks like dried skin peeling in a close up pic, and yet it looks like favus. I'd go ahead and treat her with miconazole cream until it goes away. Wear disposable plastic gloves when applying the miconazole, it's contagious. Tolnaftate, the active ingredient in Tinactin might work also.
I will! Thanks a ton!

Back
Top Bottom