Is she sick?

Fishinmatt

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2022
I have a speckeled Sussex who I just noticed has a little bit of a poopie butt... She is breathing with her mouth open and lifting her wings away from her body slightly... it is about 75° outside and the other chickens seem fine, but she seems a little lethargic... I live in Southern california... any suggestions?

I placed a waterer inside the run with electrolytes and apple cider vinegar

The symptoms that you’re describing, sound similar to an egg bound situation.

1. How old is she?
2. Does she lay? If so, when did she last lay?
3. Does she sound raspy or wheezy?
4. Any nasal or ocular discharge? Coughing or sneezing?

The symptoms that you’re describing, sound similar to an egg bound situation.

1. How old is she?
2. Does she lay? If so, when did she last lay?
3. Does she sound raspy or wheezy?
4. Any nasal or ocular discharge? Coughing or sneezing?
Thank you, she is 1 year old, I just noticed today so I'm not sure if she's laying, no raspy / wheezy, no nasal or ocular discharge... I can just tell that she isn't acting "normal" and seems like she isn't feeling good... any suggestions? I wanna be on top of things so she doesn't get worse...

She could be overheated. Holding wings away from the body and open beak breathing could be a sign of overheating. Is she heavy or overweight? I would observe her to see if she is laying or not. Check her crop in her right chest to feel if her crop is empty in the morning. Is she eating and drinking.

She could be overheated. Holding wings away from the body and open beak breathing could be a sign of overheating. Is she heavy or overweight? I would observe her to see if she is laying or not. Check her crop in her right chest to feel if her crop is empty in the morning. Is she eating and drinking.
Thank you so much! She is not over weight and her crop seems normal and she is eating and drinking normally... she is however the only hen doing this and the weather is on the cooler side so I don't think she is over heating,

Attachments

• 20220226_162720.jpg
    20220226_162720.jpg
    479.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220226_162708.jpg
    20220226_162708.jpg
    488.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220226_162056.jpg
    20220226_162056.jpg
    514.4 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom