1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is she uncomfortable sleeping or trying something else?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stone_family3, Aug 30, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Phoebe came into the coop and laid down she then strained like something was going on, then rolled onto her side. Closed her eyes like she was sleeping and stretched a leg out. She would get up and turn around and do it all over again. Did this for 40 minutes before getting up walking away and going about her business.

She was pooping just fine and eating and drinking just fine. She's approximately 3 months old and is a Dark Brahma. I asked a question similar about her squatting and straining and never saw that behavior again nor have I seen this behavior before and I spend about 2-3 hours in the coop a day with them.

I got about 3 minutes of it on video if it helps.

2. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    IMO she is just sunning herself.

3. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    Quote:x2 just sunning herself

4. danniboi1990

danniboi1990 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Coventry
    yh shes cathing the rays [​IMG] having a sunbathe [​IMG]

5. 92Pony

92Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    South Carolina
    ^ That's what I'd say too. I had a BO to do that - stretch waaaay out and then lay there. Must have felt good. [​IMG]

Wade

6. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Okay guys thanks so much, I just spend so much time out there and have never seen them do that (well except the roo).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by